Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > 76 Jensen GT Gas MIleage????

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
patrick radoci

i am considering buying a 1976 Jensen GT for appx. 6k. everything appears to be tight. relativley low mileage - 93ooo -   no rust, good interior, mechanically sound, etc.. but if anyone could answer a couple of the following questions i would greatly appreciate it:

1. what kind of gas mileage can i expect?

2. how difficult & expensive will it be to maintain/find parts, etc...?

3. where/how do i find a qualified mechanic?

3. can it/should it be used as a daily driver?

4. how does the 6k price feel-  Manheim Gold Book suggests it may be a bit on the high side?

Please post back asap. Thanks a ton.

P.

Judson Manning

The GT is by far the most rare of all 'Healeys' produced by Jensen.  Only 500 were made and I doubt 100 remain (a friend of mine has 3).  I'm not sure you want to drive such a rare car on your daily commute, however, Aaron Gross used his JH as a daily driver for years.

As with ANY 30 y/o rare car, pricing cannot be estimated from a book, and reliability is a function of the PO's attention to detail.  You'll have to decide for yourself if $6k is a good price.

Original parts can be hard to find unless you utilize something like the JHPS to help you find alternatives.  I've seen 'perfect' OEM rebuilt engines cost owners $10k-$20k, while superior (reliable, drivable & powerful) 'realistic' rebuilds cost closer to $3k-$5k.

A lot of mechanics don't want to work on old cars, but you should be able to find an MG, et. al. mechanic in your area who could do the work. 

Old Road&Track articles show gas milage ~25mpg.

patrick radoci

judson,

thanks for the info & the quick hit back.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems