Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rusty floor  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-19-2006 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
erikjensen

My 74 has been sitting in my garage since 1997. I want to get her back on the street! The reason I stopped driving the car was because the floor is very rusted. Anyone know a place in the los angeles area, especially the SF Valley, that specializes in this repair? What else needs to be done after leaving a car sit for so long?
thanks! erik

Attachment: jhfront.jpg (Downloaded 123 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-08-2006 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jonseeley

This may not help but, I had the same problem. I got exact replacement floors from Delta motorsports in Phoenix. The floor pans were really exact and the reinforcing ribs lined up perfectley. I borrowed a wire feed mig welder. I cut out the offending parts and welded in the new piece. This may be beyond you but who knows.

If the car has been laid up for a long time the gas tank is the first place I would go. There was a recent article about removing the "felt" pad that is underneath the tank. It acts like a wick. I sealed the gas tank filler because they wre never really sealed and that is where most of the water comes from. The water then goes down to the felt and promotes corrosion.

Posted: 03-26-2010 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chiromaster

I can see this is an old post but I have the same problem. Welding and cutting is no problem for me. Any other insight, tips or pictures would be of great help.

Posted: 03-27-2010 04:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

I have done this also and might have some pictures. For one of the rusted floors I built the floor pan myself and then welded it in.

One of the time consuming parts is drilling out the spot welds to remove the old flooor pan. What made it easier for me was that the car is going through a complete resoration and I had the body on a rotissiere I built.

I sent you a private message so maybe we can get together since we are in the same area.

Art

Current time is 03:17 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Rusty floor Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems