Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Front Suspension Bolt Sizes ???

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front Suspension Bolt Sizes ???  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-19-2006 11:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Does anyone know the nut and bolt size for the front suspension upper and lower wishbone arms, am thinking of finally installing the poly bushings I bought along with the new springs, but now that I have dropped the upper ball joint to get in there I see that the long upper bolt, ( 9 to 9-1/4" ) was installed from the firewall side and no way can I extract it out that way without cutting it up, so I'd like to have this stuff in hand before ruining the old one.

Thanks muchly       Brett.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-19-2006 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

Brett, I bought the last upper suspension arm bolt (expensive) that Delta had and they said they could not get them any more.  I think you can get what you need from the Bolt Depot, at boltdepot.com.  They are quick and inexpensive in my experience.  I may have put the bolt diameter on my web site along with lots of other info ans photos you might find helpful.  You might check the spreadsheet there.  I had to use a Sawzall to remove the lower suspension arm bolt on the left side - it worked well.    John.   http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2    

Posted: 04-20-2006 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

According to my notes, the upper arm bolt (JH P/N 91290) is 1/2"-20 UNF x 9.13" Grade 5.  The flat washers (91323) and lock nuts (91324) are also Grade 5.  As these were initially Vauxhall parts, your local GM parts counter guy might be able to thumb through an old paper catalog and find something usable.

If bolts of the correct length can't be readily obtained, you could try using Grade 5 threaded rod secured with a lock nuts at either end.  In this case I would strongly advise the use of cotter pins to keep the nuts in place.  Also, I'd expect that the threads would cut through the bushings' metal inserts fairly rapidly, so this is really just a temporary fix rather than a permanent replacement.

I'll caution that using Grade 5 or stronger hardware is essential.  Weaker hardware will fail with potentially lethal results.

Posted: 04-20-2006 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Thanks John and Mark, great info just what I was looking for, it's been awhile since I was last on your site John, and you have a wealth of great stuff there, I guess I will have to visit more often just to keep up.

The best I can find on that long bolt (upper wishbone) is a grade 8 9" long 1/2-13 thread, anything longer does'nt seem to be stocked,  out of McMaster-Carr for $7.81, I was thinking it was a metric size so thanks for clearing that up Mark, I'm going to double check the lenght to see if I can get away with using that, plus I may as well change all the bolts and nuts while am ordering new ones, save's coming back again later.

Did'nt someone have a bolt size chart they posted in the past, or did I just imagine it.???

Seeing this may take awhile I think I'll just slip in the new springs for now, study John's write up, and tackle it later on in the year.

Thanks Brett.

Posted: 04-06-2011 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bogie07

Sorry for the revival of a really old thread, but does anyone have an archive of John's website? It looks very helpful. Thanks.

Posted: 04-07-2011 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
chiromaster

http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/html/pictures.html

Current time is 12:05 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Front Suspension Bolt Sizes ??? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems