Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
iPod in JH - anyone?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-07-2006 08:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Harkes

Hi all, i was wondering. I don't have the original Jensen radio in the car and no speakers or anything yet. I do wish to have a nice stereo set but the modern day equipments looks too modern in the dash if you ask me.

all that funky displays with screaming and moving colours..mmm  no, not for me

now i'm thinking of installing a satin black iPod Nano with the chrome backing. Black and chrome and no ugly buttons or anything. Moreover, i take it out as soon as i step out of the car and I can put as many mp3 on it as i could put cd's in a 10disc changer!

enough of this Apple commercial.

The idea is: i want to connect the iPod to an 4way amplifyer and built speakers in the doors, where they are supposed to be and may be some in the mid console??? (i have seen this from other owners..)

Has anyone done this or is anyone thinking of this or has ideas about this? To me, it seems like the best solution which doesn't clutter my dash (i'm getting a new dash from madera concepts without the opening for a regular radio/casette/cd player.

also what type of speakers fit in the doors (i need size) and /or in the midconsole? any place in the car where i can tuck away a small woofer?

Oh...i got those fabulous chrome speaker covers you find in the Jensen GT!!!

Erik

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-07-2006 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Too bad mp3's sound terrible. Of course, with the wind noise, Dellortos, and performance exhaust you won't be able to hear anyway unless you're parked. ;-)

The console speakers are 4". I found some Pyle's with huge magnets that fit. For the doors you need a small magnet so I got some Jensen 4" with swivel tweeters. Neither location is ideal for actually hearing the music.

I have a MSD box located behind the glovebox so there is space there to hide a sub-woofer without cramping the passenger's legs.

Maybe some noise canceling headphones would be best if they are allowed in your country. Headphones are not allowed while driving in California.

Have fun!

Kurt            JH 13148

Posted: 04-07-2006 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

That's sort of my plan also, Erik. I'll be using the original, '70's retro stereo that the dealer installed (made in the USA even) and I'm getting the dash wood redone to fit that stereo size exactly, so no funny looking bezel needed to cover up holes. My door panels don't have speakers, so I'm leaving as is and I've found some 4" Fosgate speakers to fit in the console. ipod will connect via wireless FM transmitter, so removed when not in use. MP3 quality will, no doubt, sound most excellent through 1970's stereo! Be sure to add Dynamat insulation to the transmission tunnel to keep ipod from becoming ifirevictim.

Posted: 04-08-2006 08:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

Thanks Kurt, Greg,

so 4" speakers for the midconsole.  I will see what size fits in the doors. I know these magnets should be small. I have 4 chrome Jensen GT speaker covers that i will use for the doors and the midconsole.

i know you can use the iPod via the FM frequencies over the radio, so your idea is one way of doing it Greg. And yes if you put your iPod next to the handbrake or behind then dynamatting the tunnel is a must cause i know it gets hot there.

I have dynamatted the complete rear and the floor pans, but not yet the tunnel. that i will do for sure!

Now i think i won't be using any radio in my dash simply because i don't have the original one and putting in a modern one i don't think looks good. I think i will either put the amplifier underneath one of the seats or inside where the radio normally goes and cover it up with a new madera dash panel. I will use an AV cable to connect the iPod directly to the 4way amplifyer, 4 speakers and woofer.

i will look if the woofer will fit behind the glove box or at the very end where passengers feet goes.

MP3 on the iPod over a good stereo set can sound very well. It depends on the rate you are recoring them with. the higher this rate the higher the quality. All you have to do is amplify... and good speakers

i will make pictures of it  when i start the project. First i have to mate the W58 gbox/excell bellhousing to the new engine and drop the whole thing in and get it started. Spring is knocking on the door here and i have to make sure i'm on the road.

Greg, will you just be using the console speakers then? or will you add more/other speakers (and where)?

Kurt...you might be right i will not hear anything over the 2.2L engine with 45mm dellortos and the wider diameter DMS exhaust...  despite all speakers/woofer :)  i have not yet heard how much noise it will make

thanks, Erik

Last edited on 04-08-2006 08:52 am by Harkes

Posted: 04-08-2006 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hey Erik,

When I took my old muffler my muffler shop they laughed and said it was a resonator. I purchased a muffler and welded on my Pacesetter 1 into 2 tips. The car is much quieter but has lost some of it's great tone.

I still have to crank up the stereo to annoyingly loud levels so I can hear it while driving with the top down.

Kurt

Current time is 01:59 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > iPod in JH - anyone? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems