Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Instrument Panel Lights  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-03-2006 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Koehler

I recall reading that someone has upgraded the instrument panel lights to something that is brighter, but do not remember if halogen or something else was used. There were photos and instructions explaining the whole procedure.

Does anyone know where this info can be accessed?

Thanks,

Paul Koehler

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-03-2006 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

http://shorpac.com/v-web/gallery/album58

It is very difficult to find on the site. I went to Google with the following info:

a brighter dash jim kitcham

The resulting link is posted at the top of this page.

I suggest printing the info and link pages for future reference. Thats how I found the required info to search google as I couldn't get to it through the jhps search engine.

Good Luck with your project

John

Posted: 04-03-2006 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul Koehler

Thank you John, and Jim!

Paul Koehler

Posted: 04-04-2006 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

Prior to starting the  restoration of 15851, I noticed that the dash lights were very dim, even when turned up to full brilliance. I did a little researching on the internet and found some bulbs with the same fitting (miniature screw base) and a higher wattage (12V @ 0.41A  = 4.9W). Enough to improve the system without overburdening the lighting circuit (white wires with red tracer). The dash went in a couple of months ago and the battery was connnected last month to test the whole electrical system. The lights work much better. The supplier was Norman Lamps Inc, 1-800-992-8020 or at http://www.normanlamps.com  the part number is MS-1295. I think I paid $10 + shipping  for a box of 10. They are rated with a life of 7500 hours. If you drove the car at night for an hour a day every day they'd last over 20 years! I think it may be possible to change over the dash bulbs without removing the dash itself.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/JH-CO

Posted: 04-05-2006 03:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Paul Koehler

Thank you Colin, for yet, another option.

PK

Posted: 04-05-2006 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul Koehler

I called Norman Lamps today to inquire about the 4.9w bulbs mentioned in Colin's message. Talked to salesperson named Dan at ext.102. He said the part number for the particular bulb JH'ers need is MS-1205. They run $1.oo each plus shipping. I'll advise when I have them installed.

Paul Koehler

Posted: 04-06-2006 03:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
colinw59

Sorry Paul, the correct number is indeed MS-1205. The bar across the zero made it look like an 8 on my fax copy of their product range.

Posted: 04-20-2006 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul Koehler

Got 18849 on the road today/tonight, for its 2006 maiden voyage. Am happy to report that the 4.9w instrument panel lights are a marked improvement over stock. You can actually see the gauges at night. I am working on a replacement dimmer switch, and will report if I can get it worked out. Also cleaned the inside surface of the glass on each gauge. 32 years of crude and smoke etc. It makes a big difference.

Prepare yourself for what I feel were excessive S&H charges($10.78), from Norman Lights.

PK

Posted: 05-15-2006 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jim DeClerck

I have to replace some of the "Peanut" warning light bulbs and am having trouble getting access to the light bulb over the heater controls.  I have the radio out and can grasp the back of the light socket where the wires are connected but I haven't been able to get that light socket free of the rubber mounting ring.  Is there a trick I'm missing?

Posted: 05-16-2006 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

No trick, it's a friction fit in the rubber grommet, but the grommets swell with heat and age.  Try a drop of silicone lubricant, if you have some handy.  Soapy water might also work.  I wouldn't use a petroleum based product as the rubber might rot as a result.

If nothing works, cut the grommet away and replace it with a new one from your local hardware store, auto parts store, or Radio Shack, and be good to go for another 30 years or so.  The hole size in the heater console is 7/16".  Don't recall the inside diameter but it'll be a decent fit for the bulb holder.

Posted: 05-16-2006 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jim DeClerck

Thanks, Mark.  I have silicone lubricant and will try it in the morning.  The grommet still looked OK.  I'll try not to damage it.

Posted: 05-16-2006 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jim DeClerck

Mark,  The light socket was stuck in the rubber grommet.  After several squirts of silicone lube from a spray can equipped with an aiming tube along with lots of twisting, agitating, prodding with a long shafted screwdriver and finger tip worrying the socket came loose.  Thx for the silicone tip.  It saved me a trip to the grommet shop.

The bulb, and the socket, are the same as the bulbs and sockets I found in the 3 warning lights, viz., 12v 2W Philips 12829, as indicated on the bulb's base. 

Interesting that the Bulb Chart in my owners handbook (published and copyrighted by Jensen Motors Ltd., 1973, Publication Part No. 93009, Published April 1973) as well as in the Shop Manual, indicates an MES 2.2W bulb (Bulb No. 987) for the "Heater Console", while the bulb for the "Warning signs and lights" is said to be a Peanut 2W (Bulb No. 281).  It appears to me that since the sockets are the same the 2W Peanut bulb is my only choice for all 4 applications.  Am I on the right track?

Posted: 05-16-2006 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

By my reading of the parts book and shop manual, we have:

Instrument lights (qty 6): LLB 987.
Mainbeam/turn indicators (qty 3): LLB 281.
Hazard switch illuminator (qty 1): LLB 281.
Warning lights (qty 3): LLB 281.
Heater panel light (qty 1): LLB 281 from parts manual or LLB 987 from shop manual.  I'd say use whatever fits your socket.

Also, the parts manual shows the cigar lighter complete with side-mount lamp housing but does not list a replacement bulb, and the shop manual is silent on the topic.

Unfortunately, it's been five years since I changed my car's interior lights, and I just don't recall which bulb type was used for the heater panel light or cigar lighter.  Figuring that spending a few extra bucks was better than being aggravated in the event a bulb was dead on arrival or got broken while I worked on the car, I simply ordered about ten of each type.  Now if I could only remember where I put the leftover bulbs....

Posted: 05-21-2006 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Tim Knowlton

Paul,

It took me about a year to find the right combonation of lights for the dash. I believe they are Halogan lamps and I put 5 watts in the small instruments and 10 watts in the tach and speedo. Call me during the week and I will give you the name of the source where i purchased them. All of that info is at my office

Tim Knowlton

(781)479-4592

Attachment: Jensen Exterior Passenger Side 2006.jpg (Downloaded 142 times)

Posted: 05-21-2006 07:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jim DeClerck

Tim,

Nice looking Healey!  I'm intrigued by the unique fender and hood badges.  Could you post close-up pictures of them and give some info about source, cost, how attached, etc.?  Also thanks for the offer of information about bulbs.  You may get several calls.

Posted: 09-06-2006 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Dave Johnson

My alternator isn't charging and the Ignition lamp doesn't light so I need to check it. How do I get to the socket? Does the cover just pop off or do I need to take the console apart? I just got the car and don't want to break anything right away.

Posted: 09-06-2006 03:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The plastic warning light housing is a press fit into the heater console and can usually be pulled free by hand.  Generally the bulb socket will come with it.  If not, you can reach around the front of the console and push the socket through the housing hole.

The bulb socket is a friction fit in the warning light housing.  Don't recall at the moment whether the bulb itself is a bayonet or screw-in type, but in either case twist it counter-clockwise to remove.

To reinstall, replace the defective bulb, press the bulb socket into the warning light housing, then press the housing back into place.

Posted: 04-14-2007 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Frank Schwartz

You can now buy the nice bright dash instrument bulbs  from Delta Motorsports, and you do not
have to buy a whole box...just as many as you need and very inexpensive from them, too.  Now you can actually see your gauges at night without the use of an auxiliary flashlight to read 'em.  The change is remarkable as these bulbs are really, really bright!!

Last edited on 04-14-2007 05:32 pm by

Current time is 08:59 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Instrument Panel Lights Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems