Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Aftermarket Air Cleaners - Different Types?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Aftermarket Air Cleaners - Different Types?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-29-2006 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
frank12873

Hello everyone,

My JH has (I think) K & N air cleaners bolted to the Strombergs. I really don't like them; they are kind of a pain to take off and put on when you want to fiddle with the carbs. Each one is 3 pieces; the base, filter unit, and top, all held on with long bolts going through the top and the base and into the carb bodies.

I've seen a picture on e-bay of a different aftermarket setup; looks like the filter element is in front of the carbs, rather than around the side of them, and is held on by wire clips or something. Seems more efficient to me, and looks like it would be much easier to take off and put on.

From this poor description, can anybody tell me who makes this other air cleaner set-up, and where I could buy it? Would there be a performance advantage to one setup over the other?

Thanks!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-30-2006 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
brino

I'd strongly advise you stay with the K&N filters. They are an excellent filter and will last forever with occasional simple maintenance. Most auto parts stores carry the K&N kit which includes the cleaner & oil. The K&N's provide exceptional filtration yet allow for greater air flow than stock filters.

I think the filters you describe as seeing are the very old style foam elements held on the carb with wire clips. These are definitely inferior and I say stick with the K&N's and suffer the few minutes their R&R takes.

Posted: 03-30-2006 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Weiand used to make a low profile filter the Alfa guys were using on their Webers. The RamFlo on Ebay is sold by Eurocarb which is the major supplier of Dellorto parts. It is a foam filter which looks cool but may have limited filtration capabilities. It is made to fit specific carburetors and would have to be adapted to the Strombergs.

You could use a stock filter canister with a K&N inside.

I don't think you will notice a performance gain from any particular air filter. It may show a small loss or gain on the dyno but without the testing it's just pissing in the wind. Of course I like to piss in the wind!

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album37/JH_Big_Engine

Kurt

Last edited on 03-30-2006 02:33 pm by Jensen Healey

Posted: 03-30-2006 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
frank12873

Thanks for the info, guys!

Current time is 04:01 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Aftermarket Air Cleaners - Different Types? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems