Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
upstate mike

Hi,

I purchased a set of window glass wipe seals and clips from the club store  to replace the dried out and cracked ones onmy 74 JH. Anyone know a good trick for installing them. I admit I've only played with it a bit but I can't seem to keep the clips open while pushing them into place. Thanks in advance,

Mike Kolstee

George

This was just discussed in great depth on the british-steel bbs.  The upshot of it was it is a very difficult operation.  I ended up just gluing the strip on from above, but others have had some success using a wooden dowel cut with  a v on the end as a tool to shove the damn clips in from underneath.  I am sure someone else will chime in with other hints. 

Good luck!

Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I keep putting this off- everyone does indeed say it's a pain. What I did years ago and I did hear another local clubber did this- drill very small holes inside the mount rail and screw the wipe in place from below instead of using the clips.

Jim Ketcham

I also was quite frustrated at trying to put these on with the clips I bought from Delta.  I found it quite a bit easier with the clips from MacGregor British.  They snapped into place and appear to be identical to the original.  Here's the link:

http://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/

Brian Kelly

One rather cleaver technique I remember reading somewhere is to fashion a tool out of steel strip stock shaped like a "j" hook and use this to pull the clips into place from above.  I wonder if it'll work?

Mitch Ware

I used the "J" hook method. I took a piece of spring steel strapping and bent it in a vice to get a permanent hook in it. Then to hold the piece in place I put some double sided tape in the bottom of the "J". Hold the wipe in place with one hand, then pull up on the strap to pull the clip into place

Mitch Ware

colinw59

Good luck Mike. I replaced both of these wipe seals on #15851. It took me a good (or bad) hour & half to do each side. You'll have to loosen the vent window and completely remove the door glass, in my opinion. I opened up the clips a tad before I put them on and used a wooden dowel to push them home. The problem is that the access hole in the lower rear of the door is so small that it makes pushing the front clips home almost impossible unless your'e a contortionist with long thin arms! The forward most one near the vent window is difficult due to a lack of leverage, as it can't be reached from within the door. Apparently the reason the clips are so hard to get on is because the seal is a tad thicker than the OEM ones.  Once you've got them on it becomes a two man job to put the glass back in without pulling them off again. Good luck!

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

John Kimbrough

I fashoned a "j" type puller out of a flat galvanized wood joint connector.  It was just strong enough if I slightly spread the clips.  I, too used McGregor strips and clips, and they worked great.  Can post a picture if needed.  John. 

upstate mike

Thanks guys, all try a j type holder with the clips I have this weekend if no go I'll order the clips from Macgregor. I want to use the clips rather than an adhesive as I plan to repaint in the next couple of years and I don't want to add to the work load. Since I purchase the car in late August 2005 I want to get some driving time before I take it apart.

Mike K

Jim DeClerck

I just ordered the 14 piece clip set from MacGregor and will attempt to install the outer wipe strips I bought from Delta.  The Delta clips were not big enough to fit over the Delta strip and the metal flange on the door.  They stretched out and fell off.  Very frustrating - more than usual.  Will report on the results with the MacGregor clips.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems