Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Need a new gas tank  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-20-2006 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

I just pulled my tank.  It appears to have a very suspect glass job applied to the front and bottom.  The ends of the tank have large sheets of epoxy on them which peel off easily.  The inside of the tank is very rusty and gummy.  I have done some tank repair but the baffles in this tank would make it hard to do a good job.  I will probably stick a plastic marine tank in the trunk until I'm sure this car runs and is worth fixing.

So how are the new tanks working?  Does anyone have a leak?  Is anyone happy?  I see them on ebay now for $349 which seems cheap compared to other options.  Should I spend the extra $50 on alloy or stick with steel?  I see that Delta has a stainless tank in the catalog.  Has anyone tried one of these?

Thanks

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-20-2006 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

It's my understanding that Delta hasn't supplied their stainless tank for quite a few years now.  My car has one, courtesy of some long-ago PO, and I can see why there might have been problems on occasion.

I'd advise going with the alloy tank, presuming that they are are reasonably well made -- and I would expect that they are, or at least one of the folks who bought one of these tanks would have voiced complaints by now.  Yes, the alloy tank is a bit more expensive, but why predispose yourself for the same trouble you have now?

Posted: 03-21-2006 07:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Harkes

I'm one of those who bought the aluminium tank. Its installed in the car and the tank is an exact copy of the original (in and outside). I can not tell you if and how well it performs since my car is not yet back on the road (getting there).  I can tell you all aluminium tanks made by Gorge have been pressure tested for leaks and from what i can see quality is high.

If you haven't already, there are some pictures on the jhppg of the alu tank you may want to have a look at. Have a look at "The Shark" in the Netherlands and good luck with your choice. 

as soon as i'm back on the road i will post a message on how things are performing/behaving...  :)  can't wait

Erik, Netherlands

Posted: 05-15-2006 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joseph Mazurk

I just got my tank from that outfit in Pennslyvannia, Renu, they tear it apart and coat the inside and outside. Cost was $350.00 plus shipping of $24.00 to Chicago. Personally, from the outside it looks like hell but if you have it covered who cars? As long as it works that is what I am after. It looks like it could be used in  trek in the Amazon jungle. No leaks so it was worth it. Just for grins, I plan on buying one of those alloy tanks from Jorge in California for about the same price on one of my other cars.

1-800-328-9550 Moyer Tank Renu

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 07-24-2006 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TampaMichael

Hello,

I see that the ends of my tank (jensen healey 1974 ) are leaking ... so how did you make out with your gas tank repair. 
also my Dellorto are back firing and the car doesn't have a lot of pickup  ... probadly as i'm sucking air in the fuel lines.  the tank leak is probably a seam as it a small amount of leakage. the previous owner had the tank sealed ... i'm looking to replace the whole tank... no tank reseal bull$hit job again. any help, advise. thanks Michael Swallick

Posted: 07-24-2006 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TampaMichael

Hello,

I see that the ends of my tank (jensen healey 1974 ) are leaking ... so how did you make out with your gas tank repair. 
also my Dellorto are back firing and the car doesn't have a lot of pickup  ... probadly as i'm sucking air in the fuel lines.  the tank leak is probably a seam as it a small amount of leakage. the previous owner had the tank sealed ... i'm looking to replace the whole tank... no tank reseal bull$hit job again. any help, advise. thanks Michael Swallick

Posted: 07-24-2006 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Joseph Mazurk

Hey Michael,

Use the phone number I supplied for Renu they did a great job and I am very happy. I am confident that my tank will NEVER leak and when you get yours back from Renu you will agree with me. I am a satisfied customer and I have no connection to Renu. There are some alloy tanks for sale on ebay right now for about the same price you will pay for Renu but I wanted to keep my car original. When you take apart your gas tank becareful you don't crack those little white plastic pieces that hold those breather tubes on top of the tank. If you do they have them at Delta Motorsports. When reinstalling your breather vent use some silicone to seal it to prevent that dreaded Jensen-Healey gas smell in the trunk. Feel free to contact me at Jensenhealey74@aol.com if you have any other questions.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 07-24-2006 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Joseph Mazurk

Hey Michael,

Use the phone number I supplied for Renu they did a great job and I am very happy. I am confident that my tank will NEVER leak and when you get yours back from Renu you will agree with me. I am a satisfied customer and I have no connection to Renu. There are some alloy tanks for sale on ebay right now for about the same price you will pay for Renu but I wanted to keep my car original. When you take apart your gas tank becareful you don't crack those little white plastic pieces that hold those breather tubes on top of the tank. If you do they have them at Delta Motorsports. When reinstalling your breather vent use some silicone to seal it to prevent that dreaded Jensen-Healey gas smell in the trunk. Feel free to contact me at Jensenhealey74@aol.com if you have any other questions.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 07-24-2006 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Joseph Mazurk

Concerning Michael's carb problem I would suspect since the gas tank is rusty it is clogging up the gas lines and gas filters.

Joseph Mazurk

Posted: 07-25-2006 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
TampaMichael

thanks for the quick reply ...

Posted: 07-25-2006 06:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
TampaMichael

Thanks I'll Give Renu a Call as there was No Fuel Tank Rebuild receipt, Thanks again Joseph, Michael

Posted: 07-25-2006 01:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
John Kimbrough

Michael, I also used Gas Tank Renu and was/am very pleased.  I posted an article about it on my web site

home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2

Posted: 07-25-2006 07:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
TampaMichael

[url=http://keyword.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=gas-tank.com&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D82432e851eedc411%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery%3Dgas-tank.com%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fhttp://www.gas-tank.com%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResultsT%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhttp://www.gas-tank.com%2F]Moyer's Fuel Tank Renu[/url]  antique gas tanks auto classic car vintage motorcycle gas tank repair restoration automobile truck tractor bike fuel tanks. http://www.gas-tank.com/Eric.htm ... http://www.gas-tank.com/

Once you read the entire Renu Fuel tank stripping, coating and baking procedure I think You'll be sold ... it certainly has convinced me.  I'm driving the car to get most of tank empty before removal.

Posted: 07-25-2006 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
John Finch

I also have had mine done by gas tank renew. Looks and  works great so far. Good luck John

Current time is 11:43 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Need a new gas tank Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems