Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New JH owner seeks guidance  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-14-2006 09:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Mark Rosenbaum

"If I understand Mark correctly, I can easily remove the top covers from my Stromberg carbs. I was wondering if this could be done without affecting anything inside that I should be overly concerned about."

Yes, the top covers can be removed and reinstalled without upsetting anything, provided that the vacuum valves were correctly oriented.  If not, then it's usually necessary to readjust the mixture needles and re-synchronize the carbs -- normally a 5-15 minute job if you have the special tool and an air flow measuring device such as a Unisyn.

"I want to dress up mine by trying to clean and polish them. I didn't want to take anything apart if it would create a problem for me. Would the dampening oil come out or does that area stay in place when removing the covers?"

The damping oil reposes in a steel cylinder that's part of each carb's vacuum valve and will not drain out when the covers are removed.  At worst you'd lose a couple of drops from each of the damper rods.  But as damper oil is normally plain old 20W50, it's easy to come by.

IMHO the covers look much better when polished, and I did a fair amount of polishing to the carbs currently on my car before installing them.  The alloy they used doesn't seem to take a really bright shine, but you can get a fair one without too much effort.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-17-2006 02:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
smcmanus

Mark

I have been fiddling with the carbs to rearrange the bits as you described.  All the rubbers are soft and supple so I suspect a recent carb rebuild.  I would certainly appreciate you sending me a copy of the carburetor rebuild article you mentioned.

Thanks

Steve   smcmanus@mis.net

Posted: 03-17-2006 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Article sent via email.

Current time is 10:02 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > New JH owner seeks guidance Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems