Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seat Foam  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2006 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Prinsen

Just took the driver side seat apart. The foam is in very poor condition. It had been wet, and rusted to the seat frame. Also part was exposed to sunlight , so it deteriorated badly. Is there a source for drop-in made replacement foam padding -or-  are there instructions on the web on how to build these inserts from scratch?

The webbing is also shot. What can I use as replacement?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, Paul

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-06-2006 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The foam rubber seat bottom cushion is available from a supplier in the UK at about $100 per seat, plus shipping.  These are frequently auctioned via eBay.   Otherwise you could fabricate your own from high-density upholstery foam, or from the seat cushion used in some other British car.  Either approach would probably be nearly as expensive.

The rubber strips that support the foam may be available from your local boat or auto upholstery shop, or you could try aftermarket suppliers of the JCWhitney class.  Failing that, any heavy duty strapping, such as used in lawn chairs, might serve.

A lot of JH owners have found it less troublesome to browse the local wrecking yards and purchase seats from some later model car, even though the installation of such seats is likely to present its own set of challenges.

Posted: 03-09-2006 07:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul Prinsen

Mark, thanks for your reply. Your reply confirms what I thought. I have seen the bottom seat cushions on E-bay, so may do that. I have both black and dark blue leather, and like the way Bertone did the seats in some of the Volvo 780 models using 2 colours.

On one of the British car sites I found an interesting way to restore seats using leather: Buy a leather desk chair from Office Depot for $30, and use the material. Does not get any cheaper!

Posted: 03-09-2006 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

That's a neat idea, though I'm not sure how well the leather would resist the elements in an automotive application.

Posted: 03-10-2006 07:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Harkes

Paul, the company that sells the seat foam on ebay is Rejen Sales in the UK. They have a website as well, but not a online shop however. I have bought quite a bit of parts for my JH, since the UK is a lot closer to Holland and i must say they pack all items really well and with lots of care and everything arrived in perfect order.

if you need a phone number direct let me know

cheers

erik

ps: did you see the speedo and/or tag smiths dial with chrome bezel and with Jensen logo in the middle? awesome, would fit the JH as well i'm sure

Posted: 03-10-2006 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul Prinsen

Hi Erik, good to hear from a fellow Dutchman and Jensen owner. Zo nu en dan ben ik in Nederland om mijn moeder en familie op te zoeken. 

Yes, would like to have Rejen phone number, so please send. Do they sell the foam for the back of the seat as well, or only the bottom part. Would like to do the whole thing on both seats, and perhaps they can work out a better deal.

Posted: 03-11-2006 07:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Harkes

Hoi Paul, dat is nog eens leuk om te horen! I do not know if Rejen sells the other part as well, but i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Here is the info:

http://www.rejen.info or email sales@rejen.info

phonenumber: +44 1962 777400

What Jensen Healey do you have? Do you have any pics on the jhppg.com?

Groeten vanuit Nederland

Erik

Posted: 03-13-2006 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul Prinsen

Hoi Eric,

Thanks for the number. I'll give Rejen a call.

I have a '73 yellow JH, standard issue, with 4 speed, dual carbs. As far as pictures go: Not much to show yet. I raked the leaves and carpet out. Presently working on the sheetmetal (floors) and parts like the seats, dash, glove compartment.

Using burled walnut veneer to replace the wood look-alike parts. A nice upgrade!

Groeten uit het Wilde Westen (Medford, Oregon),

Paul

Posted: 03-13-2006 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Paul Prinsen

A couple of gas tank issues:

Pulled the gastank, and found out that the sheet metal around the filler pipe is rusted out. What is the correct diameter of the hole? Has anyone figured out a nifty part (hardware store item) to use as a fix, or should I just fabricate an insert from sheet, and spotweld in?

Second question: The tank is held down with straps. However, there are also two brackets on top. Do they serve any purpose?

Third question: Safety may not be the most exciting issue, but ... I would like to incorporate an inertia switch to cut fuel in case of an emergency. I noticed one in an Alfa I rented once, and thought it was a good idea. Has anyone done this before? What junk car would be a good source for this part?  

Paul

Posted: 03-13-2006 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Mitch Ware

As far as the inertia switch, Ford puts them in all of their cars. I have a 1994 Ford Crown Victoria in the shop right now that has one. You might try one of those. I'm sure there are a lot of old cop cars and taxis in junk yards.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 02-04-2019 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
PF18602

Paul Prinsen wrote:
A couple of gas tank issues:

Third question: Safety may not be the most exciting issue, but ... I would like to incorporate an inertia switch to cut fuel in case of an emergency. I noticed one in an Alfa I rented once, and thought it was a good idea. Has anyone done this before? What junk car would be a good source for this part?  

Obviously way late to this question, but wanted to share my thoughts and fix for a fuel safety switch. Definitely not the right page but could repost later.

Not sure how many JH owners have done this, but I found it nice to have the piece of mind. I put in an electric fuel pump, and the company recommended a safety switch that gets tied in with the oil pressure. Bought it on amazon for $11. Cheap insurance if there’s an accident and the fuel keeps pumping. Airtex OS75. Works great. Put it on a T fitting where the oil pressure gauge line taps into the engine.

Only issue with it is that the fuel pump only turns on when the pressure is above 5psi. To make cold starts a little easier, I installed an SPDT on(on) momentary toggle switch on the dash so I can turn the fuel pump on with the ignition switch to prime the carbs a bit, and then let it turn off until there’s enough oil pressure to turn it on again.

Best, Patrick. 18602 Project in SD, CA

Current time is 01:07 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Seat Foam Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems