Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH Steering Rack  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-21-2006 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

Anyone know if there is a bolt up replacement for this rack, or, where they come from? Mine is old, naturally, and could be in better shape. I'd love to have something with a quicker ratio to bolt up if it'd work well.  I haven't started looking, but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone knew of one. Thanks!

Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-22-2006 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I've seen photos of UK Vauxhalls of the period with what appears to be the same rack, and conventional JH wisdom says they were the source, so I'd be pretty sure that was correct.  I don't know of any direct replacements, but perhaps you could get an MG, Triumph, or Pinto/MustangII rack to fit with sufficiently clever bracketing and perhaps some alterations to the tie rods.

Posted: 02-23-2006 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

That is what I am thinking. Anyone used like a Ford Pinto rack or similar? I saw one a few months ago I felt would damn near bolt up.

Ron

Posted: 03-01-2006 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

The Pinto and Fox Mustang racks are 2-3" wider at the joints making bump-steer a real problem.  Delta sells rebuilt racks for a few $100 last I checked.

Posted: 03-01-2006 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

$100??? what a bargin! I was thinking like $339, but, I must be thinking wrong.  I'll check it out, R

Posted: 03-01-2006 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

Ummmmmm, no. delta sells rebuilt racks for $300 plus a $500 core charge to make sure they gets yours back. I mised that all important "few hundred" in your post! JHPS shows nothing on racks.  I'm going to look around for some service parts and pull it apart.

R

Last edited on 03-01-2006 06:19 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 03-15-2006 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I have my rack off during the front bushing replacement. I also have a spare rack. The spare had 90 wt oil inside and the one from my car had grease, not surprising due to the zerk fitting on one of the covers that I've been squirting grease into.

How can I tell which one is in better condition?

The spare looks as if someone has been inside tightening the caps on the tie rods and is not quite as loose when the tie rods are moved about. Neither one has slop when the steering shaft is turned with a large screwdriver.

Kurt

Posted: 03-29-2006 04:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
lyskam

Hi Ron,

Could you please let me know what exact brand is your steering rack ?

Mine appears to be made by Burmann, from England, but I'm not sure if it is the original one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Posted: 03-29-2006 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
colinw59

Richard Appleyard in England can sell you a rebuilt rack on an exchange basis. Call Andy at 011-44-7917-671116. But you will be without your car for a while!!!!

Posted: 07-02-2008 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dthewlis

Does anyone know who the manufacturer was of the original rack for the JH - mine is a 5-speed 1974 although I don't know that should make any difference.

It actually needs replacement inner tie rods, but I gather I have to replace the entire rack -- and can't get one anyhow without shipping mine off for refurbishment.

So we're thinkingf, once we know who made it, maybe we can track down a way to find replacements for the tie rods.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Thewlis

Posted: 07-03-2008 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
JodyFKerr

That's a very good question. I double checked my online and then my book based catalog. I don't have any supplier numbers for the steering rack itself. I do know that the front suspension was sourced from a Vauxhall.

I'm wondering if the steering rack comes from the same place. Also, have you called Jim Medland at Delta Motorsports? I know he has all the bits, dunno how he sells them.

Jody

Posted: 07-03-2008 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
dthewlis

Jody, I talked to DMS earlier today.  Turns out there are no part numbers for the tie rods; you buy the whole rack and tie rods as a unit.  Only you cannot buy them any more.  Delta has a local rebuilder in Phoenix who will refurbish a rack, but you have to send it to them and wait for the rebuild; takes several weeks.  They don't have any in stock to do an exchange, which I guess they used to do.  Seems a horribly expensive way to replace (rebuild) a pair of inner tie rods.  So we're trying to get enough information to see if there is an alternative strategy, thus the question about the OEM.

Last edited on 07-03-2008 03:10 am by dthewlis

Posted: 07-03-2008 03:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JodyFKerr

Ahh, good luck.

I'm in Phoenix, maybe I can get Jim to tell me who does it and have me taught how it's done. :)

Jody

Posted: 07-03-2008 03:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
dthewlis

Jody, good luck to you too -- I bet it's a doozer.

If we do succeed in this alternative approach I plan to post full particulars as I suspect others will definitely be interested.

Current time is 07:27 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > JH Steering Rack Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems