Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Sills - molding and paint

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sills - molding and paint  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-15-2006 08:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tifosi

Sill Molding - Two sources have provided differing views on what the original sill molding that ran from wheel well to wheel well just under the doors looks like. One claims it is 5/8" plastic chrome look self adhesive trim. The other agrees it is 5/8" but believes it to be the same as the body side molding that was black vinyl sandwiched between two thin strips of chrome look plastic. Anyone know for sure?

Sill Paint - What paint was used below the sill molding? I have seen this area in body color and have seen a black paint similar to undercoating - like a protective finish.

Thank you all,

Matt Kleiger

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-15-2006 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

Matt, I used the 5/8" kit for the body moulding and the rocker panel moulding from J.C. Whitney.  It had the black vinyl sandwiched between plastic chrome.  It exactly matched the original installation and made for a real easy installation.  John.

Posted: 02-16-2006 02:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Arvin Appelman

I used spray on truck bed liner.  The look is right and it is durable.  I bought it at Wal Mart.

Arvin Appelman

Last edited on 02-16-2006 02:43 am by Arvin Appelman

Posted: 02-16-2006 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I thought the rocker panels were painted body color or sprayed with undercoating and painted black. Any applied mouldings were probably installed by the dreaded P.O. or dealer installed.

Kurt

JH 13148

Posted: 02-16-2006 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Sohl

As I understand things, from reading the old message board and snooping around the web, etc., Jensen Healey's, as they left the factory, had no body trim or moldings as is commonly seen on U.S. cars today.  The long moldings usually seen from the front markers through or above the door latch or key lock (if there was one) and on back to the rear markers, were a dealer installment.  If you spend enough time searching for pictures on the web, you will find that not all side moldings appear the same.  Most are ruler-straight, a few follow body curves, some are below the door latch, etc.  Again, AFAIK, sills/rockers were originally painted the same as the body without any obvious under coating.   Regarding the moldings themselves, British sensibilities about automotive style in the early '70's was little different then that of the '60's.  Very little 'unnecessary' or 'extra' trim was used on Brit models of the late '60's early '70's era.  Most 'styling' decisions were driven as much by the need to accommodate known and future American regulations for bumpers, crush-zones, minimum clearances, etc., than any other single styling goal.  As to adding or replacing side moldings yourself, just do what you think looks best.  As to what is 'correct', dealers installed all sorts of stuff, A/C, moldings, undercoating, luggage racks, and more.  The parts used for dealer installed 'stuff' was not necessarily the same.  Today, thirty-some years later, what is 'factory-correct' and what is 'darn-good-for-what-it-is' becomes more and more the same with the passing of time.

Posted: 02-16-2006 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tifosi

Interesting. I'm starting to think that Jensen may have used different moulding at different times. I don't think the sill moulding was a dealer item. The Martin Robey parts catalogue lists 2 different numbers for "Finisher - sill mouldings"  - Jensen part number 91187 (up to chassis 13349) and Jensen part number 97082 (up from chassis 13350). While I totally agree that we should just do what we like and what looks good to us as owners, if I can figure out which is correct and if I can source the item, I'd like to stay original.

As for the paint, I owned a JH in 1975 as a 17 yr old. The picture I have of that car had a strip of sill moulding but was body colored below. The paint color (and type) may have changed at some point to black. Maybe it changed along with the moulding change as above.

Posted: 02-16-2006 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I think Jim's comments are spot on. Many Federal cars did not have side moulding installed. My current JH never had it installed and never had the dealer black paint below either. Logically, the factory would attempt to standardize that sort of thing for cost savings. I've never seen a home-market car with moulding, black paint below or side marker lights (also a Federal market item). Period correct and esthetics are more important than so-called factory correct. I think the original luggage rack and Dunlop wire wheels are neat, just because the car didn't leave the factory with them doesn't mean they are any less cool.

Posted: 02-16-2006 11:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Tifosi

Hi Greg - sorry to disagree with you but Alison of Rejen in the UK said that every JH and GT they've seen over there had the sill moulding - black vinyl sandwiched between 2 chrome look plastic strips. In fact they sent me a small sample. And as I posted before, it's in the Robey parts catalogue.

Posted: 02-16-2006 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Sorry, not paying enough attention- I was talking about SIDE moulding actually, the stuff further up on the side of the car. As for SILL moulding, that was not on either of my '73 Jensen Healeys and both were pretty original. It's just metal panel below the door so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe a later addition?

Posted: 02-17-2006 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Matt, your research is very interesting. How is the sill moulding attached? I see no evidence of any holes on my car although it has been re-painted.

Isn't it wonderful that new and interesting data keeps popping up after more than 30 years. Keep up the good work Matt.

Kurt Housh

JH 13148

Posted: 02-17-2006 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Tifosi

Thanks Kurt! I'm in the midst of having my car restored and I'm really enjoying the education I'm getting along the way. The sill trim, whether all chrome look or the black vinyl sandwiched between the plastic chrome strips is basically a plastic strip with a 3M type adhesive backing. It comes in a roll. I've actually located a supplier for the 5/8" trim in chrome color and am looking for a supplier for the other style moulding. There is a flat strip running just under the doors on the JH where the moulding would go (at least on my Mk II).

Matt

Posted: 02-17-2006 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Art DeKneef

I checked the three cars I have here. A 73 and 2 74s. All three had/have the side moulding and the sill moulding. The 74s have the black coating on the rockers, while the 73 is body color.

The mouldings are different which is probably to be expected since they came from different dealers.

Art

Posted: 02-17-2006 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Tifosi

Hi Art - was the 73 a Mk 1? If so, that could explain the different trim and the body colored paint.

Posted: 02-17-2006 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Art DeKneef

Yes it is.

Posted: 02-17-2006 01:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Jay

This picture appears to be a JH5 (rubber bumpers). The composition of the picture, with Jensen Motors LTD in the background, leads one to believe that you are looking a factory equipped Jensen Healey. Both side molding and some sort of sill molding appear. The front side marker light on my '74 JH is larger, lower and more forward on the fender. I'm not sure but my JH seems to be pretty original and there is no evidence of either trim molding. There is evidence of the JENSEN HEALEY tape stripe on the lower edge of the doors.

Attachment: joc-6-1024.JPG (Downloaded 56 times)

Posted: 02-17-2006 01:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Mitch Ware

#19670, a JH5, had neither body side nor sill moulding on it. It did have black painted sills (that were later painted body color over the black) as well as rubberized rust enhancing water retaining undercoating sprayed on the rockers.

I always assumed that the undercoating was a dealer item. When I restored it I simply put chip guard on the sills and painted them body color.

Mitch Ware
1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 02-17-2006 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
John Kimbrough

I have sales brochures and advertisements that show some JH had side moldings, some had side moldings and rocker moldings, and some had both and pucker painted black rockers, some not.  I have owned mine since new, and it has all three.  I believe all were factory, based on the photos.  John.

Posted: 02-17-2006 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

John- let us know the year and VIN, that's seems to be the overriding factor on which cars have what.

On the general undercoating- I'm of the opinion that all the J-H's had it and the dealer undercoating product was simply an up-sell item applied over the existing stuff.

Posted: 02-18-2006 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
John Kimbrough

Mine is a 1974 JH, vin 15375.

Posted: 02-18-2006 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Tifosi

This question is for those of you who have the sill moulding on their cars - so what does it look like? All chrome look or is it black vinyl sandwiched between two thin chrome strips (like the body side moulding).

Matt

Current time is 10:24 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Sills - molding and paint Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems