Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Glovebox restoration  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-10-2006 05:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jay T

I am replacing the wood facia pieces with some nice pieces from Madera.  When I got to the glovebox, I realized it has fallen apart to some extent.  Both sides have become detached from the rear plastic panel.  It's not clear to me how the sides should attach to the rear.  Does anyone have a picture?  In addition, I suspect the glovebox would hang from leather straps when open, but again, I'm not sure how things fit together.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-11-2006 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

Jay,

I have my glove box out at the moment. I can take a picture and post it sometime this weekend. There are two leather (or vinyl) straps that attach to the underside lip of the dash, and then to the front sides of the glove box.

Here are some pictures. The bottom and sides are made of a cardboard material. It looks like it is all one piece, just folded up and rivited. The upper edge of the sides is reinforced with metal.

Gary

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album38/IMG_0479

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album38/IMG_0480

Last edited on 02-11-2006 06:21 pm by Gary Martin JH 15371

Posted: 02-11-2006 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jay T

Gary,  thanks for the pictures.  It looks a little different than mine.  I've also attached pictures and as you'll see, mine has a couple of straps at the rear.  The back panel is also plastic.  Hmmm

Attachment: Glovebox1.jpg (Downloaded 89 times)

Last edited on 02-11-2006 07:00 pm by

Posted: 02-12-2006 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Jay, yours looks like a previous owner cobbled something together after suffering a glove box collapse of some sort.  Gary's is typical for a MkII car, and it's my understanding that the MkI cars are similar save for a plastic front panel.

As far as I know, replacement glove box cardboard is not available, but you can fabricate one yourself using a sheet of poster board or matte board.  The original material was about 0.093" thick, while most poster boards are around 0.063", so strength would suffer a bit, but the folds could be reinforced with duct tape.  The lining was originally a faux suede of some sort.

The glove box pivots on a cross rod that mounts to the cardboard, and there should be one or two straps attached to the forward sides to limit downward movement when the box is opened.

Posted: 02-13-2006 05:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jay T

Mark,  you may be right.  As I compare mine (closely) to the pictures Gary posted, I see the common aspects.  The rear straps on mine seem to be what remains of the top portion of the glovebox.

I guess I will make the best of what I've got.  :-\

Posted: 02-14-2006 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
colinw59

A late response to your question, but I just joined JHPS. I'm nearing the end of a ground up restoration on 74 JH #15851. On taking the glove box out I was shocked to find that it was in poor shape and it was made or cardboard! So I fabricated one fron 1/32" sheet aluminum. However I had an intact original from which to work, using it as a master.

I  first took pictures, something I would strongly suggest, no matter what you're doing on the car, except perhaps an oil change! I dissassembled the glove box and de-riveted all the joints. I layed this development over the 1/32" aluminum sheet (Home Depot) and traced around the perimeter and marked the bend points. The sheet was then cut to the perimeter lines and scored at the bends. This sheet was then bent at the appropriate points to form the irregularly shaped box. After comparing it to the original and making sure that the front wooden panel would fit, I  pop riveted the box together. When it was all together, and therfore rigid, I measured ,from the original, the position for the hinge bar that runs left to right across the underside of the glove box. I then test fitted the partial assembly. To simulate the matt black mottled finish of the original, I first primed the box then patiently applied several coats of Transtar's aerosol undercoating (#TSA4363), which matches the original finish very well. I lined the interior of the box with some black material that I can only describe as a soft wool like carpet material from a fabric store, adhered with contact adhesive. I used black door edge trim on the three edges of the of the box (the edges near the securing straps and the one opposite the wooden facia). After installing and adjusting the lock latch and hinge bar position the box fitted perfectly. It's stonger than the original and will not deteriorate with age as the cardboard ones do.

The whole fabrication took around 6-8 hours. However I have an engineering background and as with most jobs, it was more difficult than I have made it sound here. But with a bit of though and some inginuity it's very do-able. I can send some pics of glove box in-place if anyone is interested. 

Posted: 02-15-2006 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
George

Wow.  If you did the rest of the car to the same standard, let me know when you want to sell!  Sounds like some good work.

Posted: 02-17-2006 04:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jay T

Colin,  you sound like me.  If there's a way to improve on the original (and maintain the original look), that's what I tend to do.  At some point in the future, I will probably do a ground-up restoration (I promised my wife I would only do basic improvements currently, she wants to start driving the car).  Although, I would be interested in getting a copy of the glovebox pattern (for the future), if that's possible.

Posted: 02-17-2006 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
colinw59

Hi Jay

I'm not to sure if I kept the pattern(development) of the glovebox. I'll take a look over the weekend and see. Thanks, Colin

Posted: 02-18-2006 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
colinw59

Some pics of the car are in the Gallery in JH of Connecticut. Thanks, Colin

Current time is 12:45 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Glovebox restoration Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems