Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Screw for vacuum switch  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-08-2006 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

Does anyone know the size/ type of screw that holds the vacuum switch to the rear Stromberg carb?  Mine is held on with bailing wire, and it's bothering me.

Also, can someone quickly go over the procedure for testing the vacuum switch? I don't have the issue of the Standard that has that procedure.

Thanks,

Edward

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-09-2006 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Don't have access to my spare carbs today (too many other things in the way) but I believe the screw is a standard American thread, either #8-32tpi or possibly #10-32tpi.  These are common sizes that should be available at your local hardware store, Home Depot, etc.

Paraphrasing the Shop Manual, you can do an on-car test as described below.  If you have a hand operated vacuum pump, then you can use it, rather than manifold vacuum, to test things, though you'll do a lot of pumping.
Using a tee fitting, place a vacuum gauge to monitor the intake manifold vacuum. Remove the hose connected to the smaller fitting on the vacuum switch, and connect a second vacuum gauge to this fitting. Start the engine, allow it to warm up, then increase its speed to about 4000 rpm. Decrease the throttle opening while monitoring both vacuum gauges. The switch must be open, applying vacuum to the second gauge, for manifold vacuums of 17.5 to 20.0" Hg or more, and must be closed, with no vacuum applied to the second gauge, for manifold vacuums of 15.5 to 16.5" Hg or less. Note that a particularly well-sealed vacuum switch may maintain considerable vacuum at its outlet side for several seconds. This does no harm, as bleed-down time is normally determined by the "calibrated leak" attached to the rear carburetor.

Removing or disabling the vacuum switch has the same effect as disabling the throttle bypass valves. Bypassing the vacuum switch, or an internal leak, can result in peculiar variations in engine idle speed.

As the vacuum switch is an emissions-related item, its permanent removal or alteration may be subject to local regulations.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:59 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Screw for vacuum switch Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems