Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Running Cooler  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-28-2006 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rex Craft

I have been scaning the message board for ideals to help my JH run cooler in the hotter weather.  I decided I wanted to convert the orig. radiator to 3-tube vs orig. 2-tube core.  I took it to a radiator shop and made my request.  After they pulled the top tank and measured they said there wasn't enough room to add 3 tubes, but they could get a bigger 2 tube, bigger tubes apparently.  

Where does the 3-tube radiator originate from, rebuild from orig?, radiator from a different car?, new special order? I appreciate any help.

Rex Craft; Restored #14187

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-28-2006 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

When I took mine to a shop they opened a catalog with suitable cores and found 2, 3, and 4 tube cores available. I paid a bit more for the 4 tube.

Take your radiator to another shop.

Kurt

Posted: 01-29-2006 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
overdoer

I had mine converted to a four core also.  Find a better radiator shop.

Posted: 01-31-2006 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Rex Craft

Thanks for the info.  In other words the new 4-core is no wider than the orignal 2-core.  I have to admit the original is not very wide, apparently the 4-core must be smaller tubes.  You wouldn't know the supplier for the 4-core? 

Posted: 01-31-2006 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
overdoer

I had mine done in Illinois at a little crappy radiator shop.  That is why I was surprised that the other shop could not do it.  My radiator is thicker than the original but, I don't have any clearance problems.  The extra two cores really help with moving more fluids and with heat transfer.  I run a two tube radiator in my 10.5 second Corvette and it cools it fine.  If the radiator shop is reputable they should be able to determine wether the four core set up or the larger tube setup is the best for you.  If you want a stock appearance and don't want a thicker radiator then I would go for the large tube design.  As long as more fluid is being routed and it cools better I have no preference.  If you are going that far with things, I would recommend taking out your oil cooler and having it cleaned out as well.  I found many that are clogged with debris and oil sludge.  You do have to be careful when removing the lines from the cooler though.  Spray lots of penetrating oil on the connections for a few days, even a week, to loosen up the fittings.  I hate to admit it but, I have broken a few myself being in a hurry.  You also want to be careful that they don't boil the cooler with extremely hot fluids.  The coolers are epoxied together and extreme heat can ruin the cooler all together.  Just something to think about. 

Posted: 03-13-2006 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Rex, the 4 core is wider and holds a lot more fluid too. They had to spread the header to make it fit. So far no problems.

What did you end up doing?

Kurt

Posted: 04-26-2006 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Earp

Gone

Last edited on 04-26-2006 03:08 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 04-26-2006 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
George

I just bought a bottle of Water Wetter, but a new radiator, sounds like a much better idea.  I'll take it if its still avaiable.

Thanks
George

Posted: 04-26-2006 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Water wetter works great in a 15% antifreeze mix. I can idle in 105^ and stay under the red line.  I keep 50/ 50 in it in the winter for maximum corrosion protection.

Kurt

Current time is 04:52 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Running Cooler Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems