Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > DMV says VIN 18143 doesn't exist

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
DMV says VIN 18143 doesn't exist  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-27-2006 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dbonnar

Hello all -

I'm trying to get a replacement pink slip for my JH.   The license plate got lost somehow during the past 10 years of garage time, and DMV says my VIN number 18143 points to a Dodge truck somewhere. 

Anyone know any CA DMV tricks?

1974 JH

Dave

Last edited on 01-27-2006 04:07 am by dbonnar

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-27-2006 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

It's been my experience that the Calif. DMV normally has no problem with 5-digit JH VINs, though some other states do and in consequence will create a unique VIN number for a specific car.  But if there was already something in the system that matched your 5-digit VIN, then naturally the CA DMV would have required some other number for your car.  Try adding the 1110 or 1111 prefix, or with the letters 'JH' as a prefix or a suffix, or both.

Posted: 01-27-2006 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Your correct records might be off the books, as far as the DMV is concerned. In California, there are companies that specialize in auto title searches and paperwork that the DMV will accept. I have a friend that occasionally exports old English cars to Europe and nothing can leave a dock around here without the correct paperwork. The DMV can't, won't, doesn't care to deal with these old car problems (sometimes even if it's their fault) and I suspect you may need to find one of these third party services to generate the paperwork you need to get back on the road. It's usually not expensive and they can provide exactly what you need, cutting out a at lot of red tape and hassle for you to prove it really is your car.

Posted: 01-28-2006 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dbonnar

Thanks Mark -

I'll try that.

dxb

Posted: 01-28-2006 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dbonnar

Thanks Greg -

Do you have any names or URL's for companies I might check out?

Posted: 01-28-2006 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

CA DMV was shocked by the 5 digit vin # but allowed me to register and then typo'd the name as a Jensen Hely. I bet if you went in again they would tell you something different. As Mark said, use the prefix and try again.

California drops unregistered cars from the system after only a few years so they have no records of many older cars that have been sitting in barns and such.

Kurt Housh

Posted: 01-28-2006 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dbonnar

Great!  Armed with this info I'll take a fresh run at them.  

I also recently bought an old Jeep CJ5 and since it's the 1st time registering in CA they wanted VIN, Serial Numbers and something I have never heard of - a "Federal Placard".   Of course the CJ didn't have that so when I brought it to DMV so she could check the VIN, I was given a "referral" to the CA CHP due to the lack of a Federal Placard.  I have an appointment Thursday with a "VIN Officer" at the CHP so he can look over the jeep.   I appreciate that we're fighting stolen vehicles but what a hassle!

Thanks for the tips -

dxb

Posted: 05-07-2006 12:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
GeorgeXYZ

Here's the most inexpensive trick possible.  Ask your State elected representative for help.

Current time is 03:01 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > DMV says VIN 18143 doesn't exist Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems