Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > oil pressure at highway speeds

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
oil pressure at highway speeds  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-18-2006 01:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Mau

Last summer after rebuilding the top end of an engine, I took it out on the highway the oil pressure was at 65 pounds and then it would drop about 10 lbs of pressure and then return to the 65 pound mark. Any ideas as to what is going on. Is an engine rebuild in order or do I just need to rebuild the oil pump. Or is it something else entirely?? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ron Mau

JH 16367

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-18-2006 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

If it did this once only, then it was probably a momentary sticking of the oil pressure relief valve, or debris partially blocking the passage to the oil gauge pipe, or something similar.  Here, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly if it never happened again.   

If it did it repeatedly, with the lower pressure at lower engine rpm, and the higher pressure at the higher rpm, I'd think it normal behavior and wouldn't worry about it.

If it did it repeatedly, at a constant engine rpm, I'd be concerned about a sticking oil pressure relief valve, or excess end play in the oil pump rotors causing the pump to repeatedly lose then recover its prime.  Here, I'd slip off the timing belt and verify the end play of the aux. gear, and if it was out of spec would rebuild the oil pump.  But if the end play were in spec, I'd drive the car but watch the pressure very carefully.

Posted: 01-18-2006 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I had on occasion once, many years ago with very low oil pressure that puzzled me. I removed the oil pump relief valve and found a small piece of silicon sealer in the spring. It looked like nothing at all, but I removed it, cleaned the spring, applied a small amount of assembly lube, reassembled and the oil was pressure was back to it's old self! Mostly dumb luck, but I felt like a genius at the time. I soon switched over to the rubber cam cover gaskets and never had a problem like that again.

Posted: 01-18-2006 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Ron,

Didn't your son send me a pic of your snapped crankshaft?  Maybe that had something to do with it?????  lol

Judson

Posted: 01-18-2006 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Mau

Judson,

Different engine, but I don't want the same outcome.

Ron

Ron

Posted: 01-19-2006 12:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

Just giving you a hard time Ron...

Seriously, as I've mentioned before, I think the #1 upgrade to the JH oiling system is going to 180^ grooved bearings and x-drilling the crank.  The expensive way is using later Esprit bearings, the cheaper way is to use Chrysler 318 main bearings.

Current time is 01:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > oil pressure at highway speeds Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems