Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen-Healey and Katrina  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-14-2006 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rich

The J-H I bought last year and had been getting back into working order is now, I guess, a total loss. My home in St. Bernard, Louisiana was under about 14-15 feet of water for two or three weeks with Hurricane Katrina along with the J-H that was parked in my back yard. I had gotten it running pretty well and only needed the brakes and some rust repairs on it. Needless to say, i am not in the position to be getting back into dealing with this anytime soon but was wondering if anyone around here thinks any part of what is left of it might be salvageable. I'd hate to just let it go to junk if there are pieces that some of you could use to get your own in better shape. Any ideas?

The picture attached is from my first visit home after the storm. The car's there and notice the debris on the roof of the house. There were all types of things that floated onto the tops of houses and got stuck there when the water went doen. My neighbor had a hot tub on his.

Rich

Attachment: JH.jpg (Downloaded 133 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-14-2006 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John J

Rich  how much would you want for the car. St. Louis is not that far away  I could drive down to get her. Is that I need a lot of parts for my car, that are missing.        You can email me at  johnjplein@prodigy.net   or call me collect at (636) 4778235    thanks john

Posted: 01-15-2006 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mitch Ware

Man, that is one sad sight

Mitch Ware
1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 01-16-2006 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
edward_davis

Are you sure she has to go for parts now?  If you strip everything down and rebuild it, you might be able to save her.  I suppose that you have more important things to worry about right now than stripping a car and rebuilding it, but if she's mostly there, it seems like a shame to part her out.

As I understand it, most of the big problems with flood cars are hidden electrical issues.   With a Lucas electrical system, that would just be business as usual.

JH's are rare enough that it would be a shame to see a mostly whole car go for parts.

Good wishes and sympathy to you whatever you decide to do.

Edward Davis

Posted: 01-17-2006 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Of course the car can be saved, but it's a matter of the cost in time and dollars to do that.  If either one is in short supply, selling the car for a nominal sum might be the wisest choice.  If the car was submerged for several weeks, it'd have to be completely disassembled to the nuts-and-bolts level, and each item cleaned; a lot of stuff would have to be scrapped.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Posted: 01-17-2006 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Rich

I am not looking necessarily to part it out. Obviously it would be easier for me to sell it whole. I'm not sure how practical it is to save it but perhaps someone else has the money and time to do it. At this point I have neither since I have other priorities at the moment. I have a wife, a 4 year old, and a 5 month old who might appreciate my time and money getting our lives back together more than the car. So I know that it won't be me who gets this car back together and it would be a shame to let it rot where it is. It is a shame I put so much time and money into it and will take a big big loss on it but it's done and I can't change what hapened so I thought someone else could get something out of it.

Rich

Current time is 02:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen-Healey and Katrina Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems