Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Clutch Gaitor Availablity

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Clutch Gaitor Availablity  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-06-2006 06:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Glen

Anyone know where to get a gaitor (gaiter, gater, gator,??) for the clutch pivot arm?  What are people using for this?

Last edited on 01-19-2006 07:58 pm by Glen

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-06-2006 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The originals apparently aren't available nowadays, and AFAIK there are no replicas being made.  There are, however, alternatives:

1.  Several folks have used a cut-down Mr. Gasket rubber gearshift boot for the task.

2.  A gaiter could be fabricated from vinyl, plastic, or rubber sheet secured in place with either a length of the 3/8" diameter corrugated plastic tubing sold as sheathing for auto wiring, or a section of steel wire (i.e. a coat hanger) bent to form springy expander rings.

3.  You could secure the vinyl, etc., sheet in place using contact cement and/or screws.

Posted: 01-19-2006 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Glen

I've obtained one of those mr. gasket rubber gearshift boot things and it seems to fit really well.  I cut off the base of it and one of the folds, leaving 3 complete folds in the rubber.  One of those folds fits inside the bellhousing and the other 2 are on the outside, forming a decent connection.   Will this stay on as is, or do I need to use wire or something inside one of the folds to keep it on?

Last edited on 01-21-2006 05:54 pm by Glen

Posted: 01-22-2006 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Haven't tried this myself but apparently the thing will stay in place when installed the way you describe.  If not, then a more ambitious approach might be needed -- wires, etc.

Posted: 03-10-2006 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
colinw59

I'm working on molding a copy of the original, and now obsolete, bell housing clutch lever gaiter. It's a very difficult shape and the wall thickness in places is very thin. I'm using a 2 part mold and I've ran off about 10 copies so far, slowly improving the process/mold. To date the last one is ok, just ok. I will need to modify the rubber compound a tad to increase it's shore hardness. A catch 22, because as the shore hardness increases it becomes harder to remove the molded gaiter from the mold as there are some large undercuts. Externally my copy looks just like the original, except it's amber not black (and it won't take paint or dye, I've tried), but the interior has been changed. The final design may need a bead of silicone sealeant applied to the gaiters undercut  to help hold it in place. I'm working with Jim at Delta on this so, if I can do this successfully these gaiters will be available through him. I have a prototype in place on the vehicle below and will post pics soon.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

P.S  A NOS gaiter was recently sold on Ebay late last year for $65.00 which I simply refuse to pay. It was this that promted me to find another way.

Posted: 03-21-2006 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pbahr

Looks like colinw59 is on the right track.  There are about 1500 folks patiently waiting for the production run of the Gaiter, me included.

Thanks for your efforts.

Posted: 03-29-2010 09:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pbahr

Hi Colin,

Just spending some spare time going over old posts, and spotted yours.

You may or not know that I went through the process of designing and making a replacement for the "gaiter"  -  actually a Grommet, Lever Slot, Jensen #91689.

Lots of JH owners now enjoy a fine replacement of the original item (which, by the way, was made of rubber compounds that did not tolerate the oil and other crap in the environment.)  New part is Pete's Kits #PK-0107

See: http://www.jhppg.com/peteskits.htm

YELODOG

Attachment: Boot for pubs- very lite.jpg (Downloaded 39 times)

Current time is 02:08 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Clutch Gaitor Availablity Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems