Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
GT Style Bonnet Prop  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-04-2006 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lawrence Tod

I have aquired a GT style prop rod from Delta for instilation in 11211.
My broomstick finally wore out!
Anyway the prop rod came with a Destructions..I mean Instructions but as it involves drilling holes ... I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of:

1) a GT with the bonnet prop in place.

2) a picture of a Healey with replacement bonnet prop in place.

Thanks in advance , and all the best for the New Year to all JHPS members.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-17-2006 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
colinw59

Hi

I'm nearing the end of restoring my 74 JH (15851) and, like you, decided to go the GT route rather than a bent hood or broomstick. The hood on this car is straight and I want it to stay that way.  I painted the hood almost 3 months ago and I'll be sanding, buffing and installing it with a few weeks. Before painting the hood, I marked out and drilled the prop hole, ditto for the radiator support panel. I can send you pics of these two areas but as the hood is not on yet ,I don't have one with the hood in it's propped position.

I also made a few improvements to the prop as follows; I dispensed with the cotter pin idea. Instead threaded (3/8" UNC I think) the short angled section/stud of the prop, stoping about 3/16" short of the welded washer/collar. I then put a nylon washer on the stud end of the prop up to the washer passed the prop thru the hole I had drilled in the radiator support panel. I used another nylon washer followed by a steel washer and then finally a Nylock nut was tightened that holds the prop firmly inplace. This way there is no slack or play in the final assembly. I also domed the working end of the prop that will locate in a rubber grommet used in the hole drilled in the hood to firmly take and hold the prop. After I had modified the prop I repainted it gloss black.

Let me know if you want me to send you some pics.

Thanks,

Colin  

Posted: 02-18-2006 02:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I'd be interested in seeing the photos, probably others would, as well.  If you haven't already, perhaps you could start a folder for your car on the JHP Photo Gallery, and post the photos there.

Posted: 02-18-2006 11:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Lawrence Tod

Colin W

That would be briliant; (sending some pictures), thank you for the offer. I still have not drilled my holes as yet , though a number of weeks have passed since I originally posted this topic. This is the the season for tourists (visiting family) here in the Caribbean and though my family think the Jensen is beautiful they seldom find assisting on Jensen projects entertaining. So it will likely be another month before I get a chance to get work on her.
Thanks again for the offer

Lawrence

Posted: 02-18-2006 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
colinw59

Some pics of the car are in the Gallery in JH of Connecticut. Thanks, Colin

Posted: 02-20-2006 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tim Knowlton

Check out my car in the pics from Massachusetts. I bought my gas bonnet struts from the guys out in San Diego, the company slips my mind presently. They work great and as i recall the template for the drill holes could have been better. Good luck!

Current time is 07:15 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > GT Style Bonnet Prop Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems