Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Transporting or Shipping  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-04-2006 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Kimbrough

I have heard all the horror stories of people having their cars transported cross country and am trying to avoid the same problems.  I will be moving from Wilmington, Delaware to Portland, Oregon in September, and would like to ship my Jensen Healey in an enclosed truck.  Also am looking into shipping my Ford Ranger on an open truck.  Anyone had any experience with auto transport companies, good and bad?  Any ballpark prices?  All input will be much appreciated, and will be factored into the final choice I make. 

Thanks.  John.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-04-2006 08:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Rory Clark

Many of the moving companies IE Allied, United, Mayflower have this ability.  In one case I know of they put the car with the furniture. I would try them first.

It is EXPENSIVE

Posted: 01-05-2006 01:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
George

Fed Ex bought an auto shipping company.  Don't know about quality, but you can get a quick quote on line.  Check under Fex Ex auto transport.  I also found the site below somewhat helpful.  Don't know anything about him, but the info was good to have.

http://marcus.schaper.com/en/cars/transport.htm

Last edited on 01-05-2006 02:04 am by George

Posted: 01-05-2006 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Kimbrough

Thanks for the replies.  Lots of information to sort through.  I have moved a number of times with the company I work for, DuPont, and twice, my Jensen Healey was loaded onto the same truck as our household goods.  In fact one time, two vehicles were loaded onto the same truck along with the goods.  Both times we were satisfied with the results. 

We are currently trying to find out the cost of doing it that way for our move to Oregon, versus doing it with an independent carrier of some kind.

Any other input???  Thanks again.  John....

Posted: 01-05-2006 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Rick Willard

John,

I recently imported a Jensen Healey into Southern California from London, England.  The entire thing was handled by Dependable Auto Shippers, including the local delivery from port to my home.  I have actually been in the corporate relocation industry for many years myself, and DAS is certainly one of the biggest auto shippers in the world with an excellent reputation.  You hear all kinds of horror stories out there, but I can tell you that I chose DAS for their great reputation and overall value.  I can't imagine that your shipment would be more than $1,000, but going with something fully-enclosed is probably going to be a little more. 

OH, it just hit me that one of our newest club members here in So Cal recently shipped the "Connie Chung" JH from NJ to California using DAS.  I don't have Jay's contact info, but I'm sure he could share his own experience with DAS as well (not sure if it's good or bad).

If you need any other help, glad to assist.

Good luck!

Rick Willard 

Posted: 01-12-2006 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

John,

Moving to Portland. Very good. We could use some more JH enthusiasts in the area. Can't tell you much on the shipping of cars, except that my dad used to go to the San Fransisco area and buy used cars from auto auctions and have them shipped up to Portland. This was on open car carrier trucks and cost about $200 per car in 1998. If you need any advice on things in the Portland area, let me know. I have lived here my whole life.

Gary

Posted: 02-03-2006 11:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dave Sollish

I shipped my sons' Jeep from CT to Salt Lake last Thanksgiving with Bullseye Auto Transport
Bullseye Auto Transport
Phone Number: (877)216-6683Web Site:http://www.bullseyeshipping.com/homeLocation: Red Bluff, CA 96080
Check out transport company ratings at http://www.auto-transport-reviews.com.  Toal cost was $1,300.  No problems, delivered in two weeks (because it was over Thanksgiving)

Posted: 02-04-2006 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Joseph Mazurk

Hi John,

I don't know if you made the decision of who you are going to use to transport your JH but I want to advise on who NOT to use. DO NOT use T'nt Autotransport working out of So California or Custom Car Carriage working out of Denver. T'nt is only a broker they do not have their own trucks. They hired Custom Car Carriage to transport my GT from San Diego to Chicago. It was supposed to be a direct drive from San Diego but for some reason they left my car in Denver for over a week! They also damaged my car to the tune of $1300.00. Please save yourself a load of stress and do not use these two car transport companies.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 02-05-2006 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
John Kimbrough

Thanks for all the great advice, guys.  John

Current time is 10:48 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Transporting or Shipping Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems