Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lights  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-29-2005 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RC Smith

My turn signal and brake lights don't work. I have taken the hazzard switch and and cleaned it, at one point one turn signal indicator was on but it did not flash. Now the only things that work are the head lights, rear lights, license plate, running and dash board lights. The hazzard lights don't work either.
Any ideas?

I have also replaced the hazzard fuse.

Ray

Last edited on 12-29-2005 11:54 pm by RC Smith

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-30-2005 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

RC,  you might want to look on my website for the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting  worksheet.  Electrical diagnosis can be very difficult, mine was, but the diagrams on my website and the troubleshooting worksheet helped.  John.

home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2

Posted: 12-31-2005 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RC Smith

Thanks. I took a look and I still had no luck. I guess I will keep at it. I must be missing something.

RC

Posted: 01-01-2006 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Since you have tail lights, probably the grounds for the rear lamp housings are (mostly?) good.  Have you tested all your bulbs and examined all the contacts in each socket?

Check Fuse #2, it is common to turn signals and brake lights.  The ignition switch must be on for either to work (but not for hazard lights which are always powered).

Have you checked your turn signal flasher?  It's separate from the hazard flasher.  Both can be replaced by inexpensive US type 552 flashers, if necessary. 

You can check turn signal operation independent of the hazard switch by removing the connector from the back of the hazard switch and connecting together the two sockets at one end of the connecter while leaving alone the four sockets at the other end.  Similarly you can check hazard lights operation independent of the hazard switch by connecting together the four sockets at one end while leaving alone the two sockets at the other end.

The brake lights are independent of the turn signals and hazard lights.  The brake switch is located in the pedal assembly.

Posted: 01-02-2006 04:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
edward_davis

I had some problems with my brake lights and turn signals when I got my car.  The turn signal problem was fixed by replacing the switch on the steering column.  The brake problem was just a loose/corroded connection.  I never figured out which one exactly was bad, but taking all of the connections loose and cleaning them fixed the problem.  A problem with my headlights cleared up the same way.  Sometimes problems with these old electrical systems will fix themselves if you just go through and check each part of the circuit.  You have to do it anyway, to look for faults, but often you won't find a fault and everything will work just fine when you get it put back together.

Check the fuses, though.  They are often a source of issues in LBC's.  If you're up to it, replace the old three-fuse system with a more modern 10 or 12 fuse box; it's safer and makes tracing faults easier.

Good luck!

Edward

Posted: 01-09-2006 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
RC Smith

Mark,
IMPROVEMENT!!

All lights are working now. The problem was with a bad connection to the light switch. A little solder and problem solved but.....

The Hazzard lights still dont work and the turn signals don't blink. I have a fairly new turn signal switch was purchased back in 2000 for my other JH.

Where is this turn signal flasher located?

Last edited on 01-09-2006 10:37 pm by RC Smith

Posted: 01-09-2006 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
John Kimbrough

RC, you may want to check out my web site.  Under wiring, there is a set of under-dash photos that point out the flasher unit.  John.

http://www.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/

Posted: 01-09-2006 11:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RC Smith

Thanks, I downloaded the picture. I will pick up a new flasher unit tommorow and see if that works.

Thanks again

RC

Last edited on 01-09-2006 11:43 pm by RC Smith

Posted: 01-11-2006 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RC Smith

Thanks for the help! The turn signals flash now and the brakes lights are working. The hazzard lights still don't work but then again I won't ever need them....its a Jensen Healey!!
Ok I went to Kragens and got a road side kit.....just in case.
Thanks again for the input!

RC Smith

Last edited on 01-11-2006 02:34 am by RC Smith

Current time is 11:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Lights Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems