Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Latch

An aquaintence has a decent looking car to sell. Has had it in the family for some time. I believe a grandfather had bought it. The serial number is 10431. Are all those MK1 manufactured between 72 and 73 considerd 1973 cars?

The engine is clean, alittle rust on the trunk corner, seats are worn and have covers on them, and it has 84961 miles on the odometer. It started fine and had no obvious engine noise. The roof needs most the work and the red paint is bad, some trim loose/missing, but no body damage other than the rust mentioned above. Weather issues prevented a test drive.

New tires, good original wheels, claims all tools intact, good brakes all around, new fuel pump, new larger exhaust, new glass and wipers in front. The dash and console have no cracks. Original radio and all gauges work except fuel. It has been in the garage forever and started a few times each year.

If any of you folks would venture a guess at it's worth I'd be thankful.

Thanks,

Latch

Judson Manning

Happy holidays Latch, and a potential welcome to the fold.

Like many LBCs, the JH can't really be separated into diffent models by hard production dates or serial numbers.  There were constant running changes at the factory and service updates in the field.

I wouldn't put more worth on a later car vs. an early car.  All of them have features that make them special and/or rare.  The condition of the car is most often the primary driver of value/price.

Hugh Furr has an excellent example of a VERY early MkI car that we installed a MkII engine.  http://jhppg.com/gallery/album08/Hugh_EngineBay

Conversely, Jerry Anderson has a beautifully restored JH-5 (I built that engine as well).   Given their conditions, I'd say Hugh's and Jerry's cars are worth about the same even though they are really two totally different cars they BOTH are VERY rare. 

In the end it really depends on what the car is worth to you.  You're not buying a car, you're buying a hobby.

Best of Luck,

Judson Manning

Rory Clark

Got to agree with Judson, You are Buying a hobby.

From what you have said you are looking at a Very Good stater car to restore or refinish.  From my experence 73-JH  # 13218. You will need to give the car a lot of TLC.  Just get it on the road one time and you will be SOLD.

You can expect to spend anywhere from $ 2000 to 5000.00 depending on how far you want to take it. But remember they say there were abour 13,000 built (all years) and less then 1,600 still on the road.

I stole mine when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago for $ 3,500.00 and the condition was close to yours (Few less miles). As of right now I have put an additional 1800.00 into it and all that is remaining is a planned repaint and about $400.00 in Mech. work

Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems