Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Plastic Door Panel Fasteners

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Plastic Door Panel Fasteners  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-18-2005 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

Are the little plastic brads (pictured) that attach the door panels to the doors availabe still?  Are there any workarounds or suitable replacements for these?  I'm missing most of the brads for my door panels, and I'd like to do the replacement right.

I'm documenting my door panel work on my JHPPG site:

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album110

Attachment: Door Brad.JPG (Downloaded 97 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-18-2005 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

Edward, you can either get them from Delta Motorsports or you can go to your local True Value hardware store (or equivalent) and get them from their parts bin.  They basically just screw into the holes in your backer board.  John.

Posted: 12-19-2005 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mitch Ware

Or you can use part #803-420 from moss motors http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32885#top.  I used them for both my TR6 and my JH

Mitch Ware

1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670

1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 12-19-2005 06:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Edward, your door panels look to be worse than average, so the improvement will be that much greater when you get things done.  I added extra padding at the top on my car's panels so that occupants would have a gentler impact during brisk cornering and when going over railroad tracks at speed.

From your photo, it appears that Delta has changed the raw material for their door hardboards again.  I guess they just make up a few at a time.  The ones I bought four or five years ago were dark grey.

If you have trouble finding the push-fixes for the studs that hold the bright trim in place, or if they are loose, you can use 1/8" lengths of suitably sized automotive rubber hose.  I've used several of these on my car and they hold better than the original parts.

If you have trouble getting the courtesy light on the passenger's door to fit properly, th big V notch on the side may be just a bit small.  Mine would pop out from the bracket every month or so until I deepened the notch and cured the problem.

Last edited on 12-19-2005 06:09 am by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 12-21-2005 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tony Hollart

Seeing the picture of your door trims brings back memories of my own. The brads are available in packets from the car places, Repco or Supercheap Auto, it is possible to take them out of modern car door trims also. I made my door panels out of solid plastic sheet that was about 4 mm thick so was slightly thicker than the hardboard that the originals were made out of. I found that my old hardboard panels were so distorded that they could not be used as a template, so I cust my sheet to approximately the right size and then put two brads in so as to position the sheet on the door and then used pen to mark out the size and shap to fit the door. Then to get the rest of the brads in the correct place I used a bolt with a sharpened end and the put it in each hole made a mark, moved it onto the next hole etc.

To pad out under the vinyl I used dacron from a craft shop ( they make cuddly toys etc from the dacron ) and for the top pad a sleeping mat from the sports shop has the right consistency for a nice firm pad. Used aerosol glue to stick slepping mat pads together, and dacron to plastic sheet. Worked out quite well.  I did not put the door lock slide in as it pretty difficult to lock a convertable and if I do have to lock the doors I can do it with the key from outside.

All the Best and a Merry Christmas.

Posted: 12-29-2005 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
edward_davis

Thanks for all of the advice, folks.  It's made the door panel work much easier.  I should have a picture up of the finished driver's side door this afternoon.  Mitch, thanks for the head's-up about Moss Motors.  Tony, I used the spray adhesive and it worked well; saved a lot of time and I found an acid-free kind that should last.  I did put the door lock pulls in, as I like to keep the doors locked while driving for safety.

I can't use the door pull to lock the door when I leave the car, though.  The mechanism seems to require me to close the door before I can lock it.  I guess that's a precaution against locking yourself out (not as big a deal on the convertible).  I've got the hardtop on for winter, so the door locks do actually serve a purpose, at least for now.

Thanks,  Edward Davis

Posted: 10-15-2007 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Steve Jarvis

I ordered the clips from Moss Motors as mentioned in the previous post. Unfortunately the ones they are shipping now are very different from the plastic plugs used in the Jensen. They are a metal clip that will not work with the holes in the door panel.

I did talk with a customer service rep and he indicated there was a different plug for another car that would work. I did not persue as their shipping costs to Canada are fairly steep.

Posted: 10-16-2007 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Try going to a auto upholstry shop and asking were they get there stuff from, worked for me, I ended at a supply house that had a mega selction of all sorst of fasteners.

Posted: 11-11-2010 06:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JayH5

I recently restored my door panels and an upholstery shop directed me to a business that they get some of their stuff from and they had a good substitute.  The clips I bought were intended for a Mazda with 8mm holes.  The information on the box of 25 clips was as follows:  Brand name: AU-VE-CO, part# 14363, other# 9927-40-821.

Attachment: Completed Panel.jpg (Downloaded 118 times)

Current time is 02:30 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Plastic Door Panel Fasteners Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems