Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Carburator air box  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-03-2005 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Finch

Anyone recall a picture of a custom made air box on the site? I thought I saw one made out of aluminum or stainless with a removable top and duct hose to the front of the engine compartment. I can't locate it. I thought it was on someones car modified for the track. Not sure though. Thanks John Finch

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-22-2006 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pbahr

John,

Don't know which carbs you're referring to.

I have forward intake pipe on my Webers - see: http://jhppg.com/gallery/album62

Pete

Posted: 04-23-2006 12:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I made a shadetree fiberglass box on a aluminum mounting plate so the velocity stacks would fit inside. The stock cover was used with a hose to a cone filter near the front. A three inch hole is drilled in the bulkhead above the overflow bottle.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album37/JH_Big_Engine

I have since added a shield so it doesn't suck radiator air.

Posted: 04-23-2006 12:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

I used a collection of Lotus airboxes with integral filter.  Still has room for the velocity stacks inside.

My hose goes down and forward through the hole in the sheetmetal next to the radiator so it sucks only cold air.

Posted: 04-23-2006 03:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Esprit2

John,

Pete's Yellow Dog photo #2 shows the type of Lotus airbox I mentioned to you.   The inlet neck points forward and the flex-duct goes to the existing hole low on the right side of the radiator bulkhead...   exacatary.    ;-)

Tim

Posted: 04-23-2006 04:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pbahr

Yeah John, the parts come from two different Lotus boxes - I'd have to look up the cars they belong to.

If anyone needs this info, just post question here, or send a PM.

Posted: 04-23-2006 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Judson Manning

Some late JHs and all GTs came with this type of 'cold-air package'.  An approximate 4" hole was cut above where the radiator catch-can is located, then this was piped to the airbox.  The 'muffler' looking intake was of course not part of the assembly.

Usually cold air is a no-brainer, however, Huffaker's set-up on Bruce Qvalle's E-prod car didn't have one.  In any case, the cold-air ducting does quiet down the intake snarl of the Dellortos.

Posted: 04-24-2006 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pbahr

Judson, are you certain that the setup you describe was "stock"?  I've never heard this before.

My '74 has a stock hole behind the catch-can, where my duct goes.  I had to remove the catch-can though.

Posted: 04-24-2006 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Judson Manning

Am I certain of anything?  heck no!

You're not the only one who's never seen this set-up in a JH.

Every GT I've seen has this set-up so I can assume it was standard from the factory.  My father's JH had it and I bought a California JH years ago that had it.

There were only ~500 GTs produced so compared to 10,000 JHs this is a very rare item.  Even more rare in the late JHs.

The question still remains why Huffaker chose not to use it.....

Update:  After checking the old Road&Track, et. al. articles; I could find one pic of a LHD GT with the factory 'cold/ram air' package.  In a British car mag I saw a pic of a RHD GT with the familiar JH 'muffler' air intake. 

My guess is that with US emissions, the factory was trying every trick (110/100 timing, et. al.) to preserve HP in the later cars.

Last edited on 04-25-2006 03:25 pm by Judson Manning

Posted: 04-26-2006 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Esprit2

Judson Manning wrote: (Snip)... My guess is that with US emissions, the factory was trying every trick (110/100 timing, et. al.) to preserve HP in the later cars.

Yup,  horsepower sells cars even if the overall loss of drivability made the car less fun to drive.   Selling cars puts cash in your pocket...  deal with the complaints after the sale.   For a company that was perpetually strapped for cash,  that was understandable if not commendable.   I don't know if J-H shared that philosophy with Lotus,  or if they just inherited it along with the engine.

To give the devil his due,  there was a technical justification for advancing the intake cam.   The increased overlap resulted in greater charge dilution with exhaust gas residue at low speeds.   That gave much of the same affect as using Exhaust Gas Recirculation,  reducing oxides of nitrogen.

Regards -- Tim Engel

Last edited on 04-26-2006 03:35 am by Esprit2

Current time is 09:06 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Carburator air box Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems