Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Steering Wheel Removal  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-21-2005 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Prinsen

Removed the nut in the steering wheel, which was loose to begin with. The wheel wobbles, but something seems to hold it in place. Is there some special trick to pulling the wheel off? I hate to use force, and find out later I damaged something. Any help is much appreciated!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-21-2005 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Rory Clark

Paul,

It will take some force while working the wheel back and forth.  Or if that fails and with a second person (wife works great) using a small hammer and punch in the center of the stud you pull back on the wheel while they TAP on the stud. It should come right off.

Be VERY carefull not to lose the two piece tappered guide that is on the steering shaft (also observe the direction it is installed)

Rory 73-JH

Posted: 11-21-2005 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mitch Ware

Also be very careful on the backswing not to hit your wife in the face with the hammer.  They tend to be less willing to help you with the car in the future.

Mitch Ware
1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 11-21-2005 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I use a 2-jaw puller to get my steering wheel off.  And this is after the splines have been lubricated with anti-sieze compound.

What sort of steering wheel 'wobble' do you have?  A small amount of rotational movement (maybe 1/8" at the wheel rim) is normal.  An even smaller amount of back-and-forth movement along the steering shaft axis (less than 1/16") is also normal.  There should be virtually no tilting of the wheel and steering column shaft with respect to the body of the steering column.  If there is, the ball bearing at the top of the steering column might need to be shimmed to take up clearance between it and the column housing, or the bushing at the firewall end of the steering column might be worn.  If these are both good, then likely your steering column has been whacked with a hammer once too often and has suffered internal damage.

I'll second Mitch's remarks about wives and hammers.  In addition to the loss of a willing assistant, if the wife is a traditional sort, one generally endures very poor meals for a long time afterwards....

I concur with Rory's remarks about not losing the two tapered collar pieces.  These are necessary to keep the steering wheel from going too far forward on its shaft.  Replacements, if required, are available from Delta Motorsports, and can be secured with silicone sealer or gasket cement -- don't bother with the securing band that Delta also sells, those are just ancient rubber bands.

Posted: 11-22-2005 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Paul Prinsen

Thanks for all the advice! The wobble is as far as I can determine, the wheel being loose on the splines. The nut was loose (as in no resistance to take off, none), and I believe the car was driven that way. Wheel to shaft develloped play. Since it has play, I can not figure out what would hold it in place now.  I did peek behind the wheel, and I can see the shaft sticking into the wheel.  So there is space between the wheel and the cast part behind it. Does that mean that the two pieces you mention are gone, and the previous owner simply reefed the wheel on, busting the splines, etc?

On my wife helping me: Wel... Still getting her used to a real project. A delicate matter. Standard issue family vehicle is the Swedish brick (3 x Volvo 240), also 780, Range Rover, Nissan Maxima, Chrysler Town & Country, and her BMW 535I. Man, we got wheels!! I am the designated mechanic, and the mean time beteen failures is very high. Even so with that many cars, maintenance takes time. The appearance of the JH did not cause the joy it did for the rest of the family. So suggestions for a suitable bribe most welcome.

Posted: 11-22-2005 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Rory Clark

Paul

You asked "...So suggestions for a suitable bribe most welcome."

In my case letting my wife drive it for 5-10 minutes did the trick. After her drive I had "Carte Blance" ...Spend what ever it takes to make it look and run sharp..

Now if I just had the time... It is on the blocks more then on the road because I am S.L.O.W. at getting things done.

Rory 

Posted: 11-22-2005 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jcrc1

Problem with Wives is relatively complex. Most ( Standard Issue) wives tend to not have the same emotional triggers with cars that men do. They DO like to talk..... not much about cars but more about thoughts/feelings/ and other weird stuff that men don't have much time for. So... The best bribe in my opinion is to offer her the same amount of CASH to do whatever she wants that you are spending on the JH ( Hey, the good news is parts are cheap and Labor of course is not included) The result... she stays incredibly happy and doesn't care how much time and Cash you spend on the JH in the future.

Cheers

john

Current time is 07:45 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Steering Wheel Removal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems