Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
crankshaft  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-19-2005 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jason fain

I have a 1973 J.H #10566 that I had my mechanic build me a 907 engine from a 74 that used the lipseal instead of my original ropeseal engine.  He has rebuilt several 907 engines from lotus cars but has never seen one with a machined looking groove near the rear seal.  The grove sits just on the inside of the rear seal and we are wondering if this was something the factory did or someones idea of a oil deterent from the rear seal. The rear lipseal does set off the groove enough that it should not cause a oil leak problem but we just wanted to know if anybody had any info on this.  He has finished building the engine and is concerned wether or not it was supposed to be there before we install the engine in the car.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Jason

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-19-2005 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

jason fain wrote: (Snip)...  has never seen one with a machined looking groove near the rear seal.  The grove sits just on the inside of the rear seal and we are wondering if this was something the factory did or someones idea of a oil deterent from the rear seal.
Jason,

A groove on the OD of the seal journal?   I've never seen such a feature on Lotus' version of the 9XX engines.

Tim Engel

Posted: 11-19-2005 01:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

Jason,

Be sure to center the seals accurately.   Just sliding the seal & housing onto the journal and tightening the bolts isn't enough.   Either use the proper seal centering tools or a vernier caliper.

With the caliper,  measure the gap between the crank journal and the ID of the seal housing and make sure it's the same top to bottom and side to side.

Good luck,

Tim Engel

Posted: 11-20-2005 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

I've seen this 'groove' a number of times on neglected engines.  It's just where the original seal has worn to the point the spring inside is allowed to come in contact with the crank. 

The new(er) spec for the placement of the rear seal tends to put it outboard of the original location, so the groove is rarely a problem.  I always take some fine-grit sandpaper and hone the crankshaft a bit more when I do see this groove.

As Tim points out, you MUST be careful when placing the seal and torquing down.  There aren't any locating dowels and the thru holes in the rear cover allow for a lot of movement.  Mis-allign it and you'll spend another complete weekend tearing it down all over again.

Current time is 08:55 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > crankshaft Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems