Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stowing Convertible top  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-28-2005 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
edward_davis

Hello.  Just another question as a result of spending too much time surfing up photos of Jensen Healeys. 

What's the best way to stow the soft top?  I was instructed in rolling up the top when I bought my JH, but I've seen several photos online of cars that seem to have the top folded down like a more conventional convertible top.  Can they all do that?  Is it bad for the plastic rear window?  What's the preferred way to store the soft top?

Thanks. Edward.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-31-2005 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mike Linn

Ed:

you are correct in rolling the top.  Once you have the top undone, lay the material on the trunk and fold it in half by bringing the metal bar almost even with the headrail...fold the 'ears' in and roll from the back towards the front.  You will be able to tuck the ends of the metal bar under the ledge of the body of the car.  I added three straps and snaps, that allow me to keep the top rolled, and not to let it drap into the rear area...keeps the back cleaner and makes it easier to put tonnau, or boot on.

Posted: 11-01-2005 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jay

I'm not clear on the procedure. When you say "Once you have the top undone..." are you implying that the top is completely removed from the steel frame? I thought that you kept the top fastened to the frame and just folded the whole assembly. I will look at removing the top from the frame and rolling it up as you suggest. A couple of photos of the procedure would be helpful. Thank You.
Jay

Posted: 11-02-2005 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
edward_davis

The top remains attached at the front bar, the one that has the latches that secure above the windscreen.  You have to take the back end of the top out of the two chrome notches immediately above the top well.  This will only work if you've undone all of the snaps everywhere.  Then the whole fabric part of the top is loose, so you collapse the metal part into the top well and drape the fabric over the boot area.  Afterwards, you fold it back and roll it up as Mike explained. 

Just folding the top like a conventional soft top will make it quicker to go up and down, but it seems lie it would also put undue strain on the plastic window and on the fabric.  Rolling the top on my car by the PO's has made it last 30 years.  The key to a long-lasting top is to live where you never need to use it...

I'll get my wife to take some pictures of me stowing the top, and I'll post them this weekend.  Unless someone else has already done it.

Edward

Posted: 11-07-2005 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
nvandal

Since I have a hard top for my car as well as the soft top, I disconnected the front bar from the frame ( 2 bolts ). I could then hang the top in the barn from the center of the bar ( connected to the soft top ) so it is unfolded. I've been cleaning it in this position as well.  Norm Vandal

Posted: 10-10-2006 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mayors Ride

HI Ed,

Did you ever get to those photos?

Steph

Posted: 10-11-2006 12:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
edward_davis

I still haven't gotten a chance to do it.  Since Tennessee has the weekend off from football, maybe I'll do it this Saturday.  I've even gotten better at it, after reading some more posts here and also (surprisingly) looking at some MGB sites.  The ol' 'B has a simiilar "roadster" top, so they have to deal with the same problem.  They have the sidelights in the top, too, so it's even easier for them to screw it up and crease the windows.

Maybe I'll go ahead and post some pictures of mounting the hard top, too.

Posted: 10-16-2006 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
edward_davis

I was going to post the pictures at JHPPG.com, but it seems to be down.  I'll try again tomorrow.  If I can't get it done then, it will have to wait a week 'till I'm back from Canada.

Edward

Posted: 10-23-2006 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
edward_davis

I've finally gotten the pictures.  They're here on the JHPPG:

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album138

I still have my album in the CA listing, even though I'm in NC now.  I suppose I'll leave it there, to reduce confusion...

Enjoy,

Edward Davis

Posted: 10-24-2006 08:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Harkes

thanks Edward,

the pictures are very helpful. Now i can finally do it right.

Cheers

erik

Posted: 04-14-2008 12:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
dwalls1

Have been reading this thread and found it very helpful, but was unable to bring up the photos. Could one of you admin guys check this out? Thanks Dale

Posted: 04-14-2008 02:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I can't even get my top to stow correctly.

Posted: 04-14-2008 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
edward_davis

I moved my JHPPG photos to the Oregon folder to reflect my Oregon move but that should not have broken the old link.  It looks like the whole JHPPG is down right now.  I'm sure Dan is working to get it back up.

Edward

Posted: 04-15-2008 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
dwalls1

Thanks Edward!

I appreciate the reply, though I am still unable to get the pics. I did put my top down this evening using the roll procedure and it stowed very well. The top cover installs nicely this way as it is apparrent with the top rolled as to how the cover works. I am disapointed that my tannaeiou (OK you spell it) cover won't go on over the top cover, but one can't have everything. Am going to try to leave the top down and keep the car in the garage like a California person might, this will mean my TR7 will sit outside. It has a new canvas top and should do allright outdoors in New Mexico. This should work 'til I can get the garage arranged to accomodate both, provided my bride doesn't expect her car to be inside when there's room.

Current time is 08:27 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Stowing Convertible top Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems