Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > My turn signals don't work when it rains

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
My turn signals don't work when it rains  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-28-2005 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lawrence Tod

Morning Everyone

So last night I was driving home and I encoutered a sudden heavy rain shower.
At the first intersection I came to the turn signals would not "flash" but stayed on .

Any thoughts, The hazards don't work at all either.

My first thoughts are that the flashers units got wet!

Everyone have a good weekend.

Lawrence

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-28-2005 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Turn signals and Hazard lights use the same bulbs but different flashers.  There's also an inlne fuse for the Hazard lights, under the dash on the driver's side in US market cars.

Troubleshooting is simplest if you attach the Hazard problem first.  Check the Hazard fuse and replace it if necessary.  Cycle the Hazard switch about 20 times to break through any internal corrosion that might be present.  Verify that the Hazard flasher is in fact functional.  Check the bulbs, and their grounds (which are mostly through the lamp housings), and replace any bad bulbs.

Once all four bulbs are flashing when the Hazard switch is activated, check the turn signals.  If one side does not work but the other does, the steering column switch or its wiring is bad.  If both sides do not work the turn signal flasher or the steering column switch or its wiring is bad.

To prove or disprove that the Hazard switch is bad, unplug the wiring connector from the back of the switch.  To test the turn signal functions, jumper the two sockets at one end of the switch connector (only).  To test the hazard functions, jumper the four sockets at the other end of the connector(only).  If things work as expected with the jumpers but not with the switch in place, the switch is bad.  Sometimes they can be disassembled and cleaned, but mostly the plastic breaks when you try to do that.

Posted: 10-29-2005 11:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lawrence Tod

Mark
This morning I gave the turn signal and hazard "Flashers" a good wack with the back of my hand and they started working again.

I cannot source replacment flashers locally that fit in the rectangular receptacles built in under the dash to the left of the steering column.
I have large clear ones (about the size of a "c" cell battery) , that are marked "electronic". They look a little like 21st century vacuum tubes!

They are damn ugly dangling down between the bonnet release cable and the inner fender but until it rains they normally function satisfactorily.

I could probably bodge something up to hold them , but I am hoping "lord lucas" will materialize and give me a pair.

I suspect the microswitch just welded itself in place . Striking them while "hot" probably freed them from the on position.

As far as everything else goes:

Hazard switch new from delta less than 5 months
Column swithes 1 and 1/2 years old delta again

Thank you for your superb advice once again.

Posted: 10-29-2005 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The word 'electronic' is frequently used to justify a large price multiplier by suggesting to the consumer that an item has the reliability of solid-state (transistorized, etc.) devices.  In fact, however, 'electronic' merely means that the device deals with electricity in some form -- a conventional light bulb is 'electronic' in this sense.  One needs to read the fine print to see if 'electronic' actually means solid-state, or is just marketing BS.  If in doubt, always assume BS.

If your flashers are actually solid-state and require whacking to work, they're definitely broken.  If in fact they are some version of the conventional thermal type, then your assessment that the points have welded shut is probably correct, but when this occurs the device is at the end of its lifespan.  In either case, I would suggest replacement.

Given your location, I'd imagine that US type 552 flashers are readily available.  These have round cans of soft aluminum, but do fit into the rectangular Lucas brackets if sufficient force is applied.  I've attached a photo of my car's underdash showing this (some items may have been moved from their original locations).

As an alternative, you could try coating your flashers with a clear sealant such as paraffin wax (candle wax), Krylon (tm) paint, or the like, or placing them in plastic bags, or both.

Attachment: DSC00062.JPG (Downloaded 60 times)

Posted: 11-03-2005 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Lawrence Tod

O.K. so I aquirred a pair of round "flashers" as per your jpeg.

And I installed , (forced) them into the square holes.

Quite satifying actually! I enjoy purposefully doing the wrong thing.
The don't fit as nicely as yours . The bottom one in particular looks nasty .

But they work!
And its raining and they still work

Good Job Mark!

Posted: 11-11-2006 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bill Rister

Thank you both Mark and Lawrence.     When I got my car the signals worked but  stopped some time ago.   The vast amount of shop manual, parts manual, even Delta catalog have been no help in finding that flasher ...and I assumed only one was used for both hazard and turn .. that threw me 'cause the hazard flashers work.

Doing a search I found the exchange between you two and your photo Mark is my lifesaver.   I can't stand on my head in that car with the top up, so put my camera under the dash and shot blindly ...but never that inner fender!    I now have your photo saved Mark and am indebted to the both of you.

Posted: 11-11-2006 01:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Glad to be of assistance here.  As I mentioned, my under-dash area is no longer stock, so I'd appreciate seeing a copy of your photo, if possible.

Posted: 11-11-2006 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bill Rister

I think you misunderstood me ...   or perhaps you didn't.    My photos are of wiring hodgepodges but none show the flashers.    Your photo I saved because I did not have one of the inner fender and the flashers.

If you want the photos I took ..showing the hodge-podges, I can email them to you if you give me your email address.    Mine is brister@houston.rr.com

Posted: 11-11-2006 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Bill, I collect photos of JHs and their component parts, partly for my own interest, partly to make answering future questions easier.  Most JHs (certainly including mine!) are a bit messy somewhere or other, which is the expected result from normal wear and tear on a 30-year-old vehicle.

The easiest way to reach me is by clicking on my name at any of my posts on the JHPS, then selecting the 'send email' option.  If for some reason that doesn't work, you can email me directly at markjrosenbaum ,at, npgcable ,dot, com, making the obvious alterations.  Unfortunately I get a fair amount of spam, so it would be prudent to place something JH-related in the subject line.  Email is also probably the best way to handle long exchanges and discussions that mignt not be entertaining to other JH owners.

Posted: 11-13-2006 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Lawrence Tod

Bill
Glad we , (Mark & I), could be of service, that's what the JHPS is here for .

One can generally find a solution to their problem or get pointed in the right direction by Searching the various Boards . These boards and threads are super!

Lawrence

Current time is 01:16 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > My turn signals don't work when it rains Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems