New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
FOUR TO FIVE SPEED  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-22-2005 10:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nvandal

Folks,

Thought I'd give you some facts about converting to a five speed as I'm finding them. I got a 75 car for parts, so I have the tranny, drive shaft and rear end. In order to install the tranny in my 74 I'll need to drill a hole just behind the gear shift opening to accept the rubber mount on the five speed shifter assembly.

Now come the disappointing part. The drive shaft is this mess with a cv type joint in the middle and some funky rubber u-joint at one end. The rubber is shot, and I wouldn't use this contraption anyhow. My friend has a drive shaft from a Jensen GT and it has a slip joint like the typical transmission, so it's the one I need.

The rear end is a straightforward swap, but I'll replace all the suspension bushings, shocks, etc. I've been making rear disk conversion kits for the Lotus Europa, so I'll likely be producing them for Jensens as well.  I'll add this feature too, as a prototype.

If anyone out there has a source for the GT type drive shaft with slip joint, I'd appreciate your help. Or, If I could get a standard four speed drive shaft I could use the yokes to have a drive shaft fabricated. I could then trade my 74 drive shaft back like a " core".

Also,

I'd like to flush out the rear end to get any crap out of it. The axles are out so I can lift it vertically to drain it. Any comments on what I could use/ should use/ or should I not even do this???

Would appreciate advice/ comments/ help.

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-25-2005 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Norm,

The slip-yoke driveshaft you're referencing is commonly known as the 'one-piece' driveshaft available from Delta Motorsports.  The 2-piece was supplied on all JH5s and GTs.  Purportedly it wasn't the best design and most owners replaced it with the 1-piece design. 

If Delta isn't an option, I'm sure a local driveline place could fabricate a shaft for you.

Judson

Posted: 10-25-2005 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nvandal

Thanks for your reply. I am looking into having a one-piece shaft made. The issue is with the yokes and flanges. True, I can buy one from Delta, but it's $ 465. That a lot of dough for something shops produce all the time for like $ 150 to $ 200.

My issue is I need a compatible flange that bolts up to the transmission shaft flange ( 5 speed Getrag ) and to the differential shaft flange If anyone knows of the interchangeable equivalent, please let me know.

Or, if anyone has an extra 4 speed driveshaft that I could cut the flange and yoke off of ( at differential end ) I would then have 2 flnages and two yokes. Then, I could get a shop to fabricate the rest. Anyone got a spare???

Thanks again,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 10-26-2005 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Norm,

A local drive line shop should be able to re-use your flanges from the 2-piece.  If not, keep in mind the 4sp uses two different flanges:  earlier 4sp cars have a small one, later 4sp cars and all 5sp cars use a larger one.

Judson

Posted: 10-26-2005 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Joel

nvandal:

i'd like to learn more about the rear disc brake conversion. if you get the chance please start a new thread. after i complete a myriad of other projects i might consider going with the big brake front brakes (from JHPS) and am curious about a conversion to rear discs. that would certainly provide some stopping power!

Posted: 10-26-2005 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mitch Ware

In the SCCA GCR there is a line regarding what modifications are allowed to a Jensen Healey in E-production and it states that the rear discs from a TR8 are allowed on the car. So there must be some sort of converion existing out there already, or at least they are able to be adapted.

Of course I could be reading that wrong.

Mitch Ware
1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 10-27-2005 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Judson Manning

Actually, per SCCA Production rules,  the rear drums can be replaced with any solid disc brake that does not exceed the diameter of the front rotors.

Posted: 10-28-2005 01:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

Judson Manning wrote: Actually, per SCCA Production rules,  the rear drums can be replaced with any solid disc brake that does not exceed the diameter of the front rotors.

Yeah, I just thought it interesting that the GCR specifically states TR8 discs may be used.

Mitch Ware
1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 11-07-2005 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ron Earp

What year did the TR8 get rear discs?  All I've ever seen are rear drums on TR8s and I've wrenched on more than a few.

R

Posted: 11-20-2005 05:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
pbahr

Norm,

I've gone through the 5spd conversion.  Check:http://www.jhppg.com/peteskits.htm for two items that may help you.

Pete

Current time is 11:57 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > FOUR TO FIVE SPEED Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems