Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Replacement Convertible Top

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacement Convertible Top  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-22-2005 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Finch

1111-18309 is up and running after 15 years on jack stands in the PO's garage and 2 1/2  mos in mine. Just in time for snow in Mpls. Bummer. But its a gas! Anyway the orig conv top just ripped about 2 feet. Anyone replaced theirs yet? I'd appreciate any opinions, experience and recommendations. I see vinyl to canvas ranging form $200-$700 on the net. Thanks for your help John

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-22-2005 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

John,

The JHPS club store has vinyl tops for $335. The top is made by Robbins. From what I hear these are good quality tops. My top also needs to be replaced and this was the top I was planning to get. I don't think the rear window zips open like some other British cars though. I would be curious if there is a JH top that has a zip open rear window.

Gary

Posted: 10-24-2005 12:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brian Kelly

I have vinyl and the draw back is it shrinks when it's cold making it difficult to put up when you need it most.  My next top will be canvas with out a doubt.  There is a new eBay seller/manufacturer of both vinyl and canvas thaty looks intressing.  if you go to their website the tops are offered at a lower price. Has any one tried one?

Brian

http://aabestco.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=595&lastcatid=243&step=4

Posted: 10-24-2005 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

The world of Jensen Healey tops is a strange one. This soft top is fairly complex and if it's not cut properly, the owner will have a world of problems trying to get a reasonable seal. Lots of junk out there- regardless of the material. Robbins is a name brand and they do make a consistent sized top that really works on this car and will fit in cold weather. The old Caribou tops, out of canvas, had a great fit orginally, yet I saw another one that was cut very poorly later on, so I guess a lot depends on who's doing the cutting.

Posted: 09-08-2006 04:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jonseeley

I just bought a top from a company in Miami and paid $209 plus shipping. The top is a mess, the rear surround was cut a total of four inches short. I sent them an email about the problem and have yet to hear from them.

I had to elongate the slots in the pivot brackets in order to drop the top far enough to get the side velcros to get a toe hold. I should have known better!

Jon Seeley

Posted: 09-08-2006 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
colinw59

I replaced the top on 15851 with a vinyl one from 'EZ ON Auto Tops' via Ebay, as the original rear window was the color of Bromine! I think I paid $175 + shipping about 18 months ago. The fit is excellent, the only problem was getting the curved rear holdown bar into the slit at rear of the top.  I had to heat the whole area up and slowly walked the bar home, assisted by a few choice words, this always helps! I haven't put the top up in cold weather yet as the car was finished only 3 months ago. I decided upon a vinyl top as this is a show car and will always be tucked away out of sight under the top boot. Only getting used if I should get caught out in the rain and during winter storage.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851

Current time is 11:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Replacement Convertible Top Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems