Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
carburetor synchronizer  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-21-2005 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
johnhem

Is anyone familiar with this synchronizer and would they recommend it or not? I read Frank Schwatz's post but would rather not deal with JC Whitney if at all possible. Thanks,

John Hemmings

Attachment: carbsync.gif (Downloaded 193 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-21-2005 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Item 5746 is the Uni-syn, which has been around for quite a while.  These work fine, but have their drawbacks, and some people don't care for them.  The other three items appear to be variants of the same device.  If this is the Schleyer flow measuring device, I've heard good reports but haven't used one myself.

Posted: 10-22-2005 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I also have the Uni-Syn like # 5746. It is at least 30 years old. It worked on my car to get carbs syncronized. Never seen the other three types.

Gary

Posted: 10-24-2005 12:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
StabnSteer

I tried the Unisyn and had no luck - I was unable to get consistent readings from it...could have been just a bad unit. I have one of the synchronizers that look like the ones in your pictures, from JC Whitney, no doubt (MUCH cheaper than all other places where I found this type of tool), and it works perfectly and consistently.

Posted: 10-24-2005 12:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brian Kelly

http://www.carbtune.com/

For what it's worth I think this is the best for the Dellorto's (and also the most expensive). It works well, is very accurate, is a joy to use and best of all no mercury to deal with. I tried the unisys and was not happy with the results. I've not tried it on the Strombergs.

Brian

Posted: 10-28-2005 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Esprit2

johnhem wrote: Is anyone familiar with this synchronizer and would they recommend it or not? I read Frank Schwatz's post but would rather not deal with JC Whitney if at all possible. Thanks,

John Hemmings

John,

I'm not a big fan of any air-flow meter that mounts in the air intake.   They all influence the very air flow they are trying to measure.   They can't check the normal running condition since they alter the air pressure/ vacuum the instant they are installed.

The best choice is a manometer connected to read manifold pressure immediately behind the throttle butterflies,  and the best,  IMHO,  is the Carbtune II  (2 and 4 tube models available.   Expensive new, but more reasonable slightly used on eBay.UK.co.

The caveat with manometers is you need a vacuum port immediately down stream from the throttle butterflies to connect the manometer to.   Dellortos come with manometer vacuum ports stock.   Strombergs don't.   Weber DCOE's don't (DCOM's are basically later DCOE-clones upgraded to include many Dellorto features...  including manometer vacuum ports).

If you elect to drill & tap a vacuum port, then it should be located as close to the throttle butterfly as practical.   There are some really funky flow patterns,  pressure pulses and reversion waves inside an intake manifold runner.   Tapping the runner down stream won't necessarily tell you what's going on at the carb.  To tune the carb you need to check the pressure right behind the butterfly.

If all of that is more than you are willing to deal with and you're going to buy one of the units pictured no matter what,  then I've had pretty spotty results with the Uni-Syn.   I wouldn't buy another one.

Once you try a manometer,  you'll never go back.

Good luck,

Tim Engel

Current time is 12:17 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > carburetor synchronizer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems