Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Header Gasket  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-16-2005 09:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rory Clark

Well looks like I blew a header gasket. Have not looked under the car to see how much of a job it is going to be and the Shop manual does not even mention it.

Any remarks on how to go about the replacement ?

Thanks

Rory 73-JH

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-17-2005 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

This is one of those "while you're at" it kind of things.

Like all cars, getting to the head gasket requires removing the entire intake and exhaust in order to remove the head.  With the 907, you have the added task of removing the cam towers.  In short, half the engine has to be disassembled.

While you're at it...

Now would be a good time to invest in a valve-job, possibly new valves and guides, not to mention a proper valve-shimming.  Give the carbs a thorough cleaning (if not totally rebuilt), and check the condition of your headers. 

New belts are a must, and new tensioner bearings would be wise as would new spark plugs.  A water-pump rebuild, and new thermostat wouldn't be a bad idea since the water pump has to be removed to get the head off the block.

Performance wise, the new 'black' head-gasket is thicker than the original laminated steel version.  You will lose ~1/2 a point in compression, however, it seals MUCH better on an engine who's nip isn't perfect.  While you're at it...a pair of the club's 107 cams would not only reclaim the lost performance, but will give you increased low&mid range drivability.  Why not upgrade those plug-wires, cap and rotor??? the list goes on and on....

Alternatively, you could tear everything apart, replace the head-gasket and call it a day...then wait for any of the above to cause problems later.

Instead of a problem, I would view this as an opportunity for a Winter project that WILL net a very reliable engine, with a boost in drivability just in time for Spring.

Trailer it on over to Georgia and I'll knock it out for you in about 4wks....

Judson Manning

Posted: 10-17-2005 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Rory Clark

Judson,

Sorry I mis-spoke. What I was meaning to say was the Exaust Header gasket on # 4

Rory 

Posted: 10-17-2005 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Lawrence Tod

Some degreaser and a descent squirt with the hose the day before is a must.

You might want to consider replacing that steering column Bushing while your under there.

Check the status of the bolts and lock nuts on the steering knuckles.

Delta sold me some copper lock nuts with my replacement header/ exhaust Manifold, they were very nice to work with and should have a longer life compared to mild steel.

Just a thought though, If I'm going under I like to get a lot done one time

Lawrence

Posted: 10-18-2005 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brian Kelly

Yes the copper bolts are nice and I also recommend them.  To get at those header bolts it is helpful to unbolt the left motor mount and lift the left side of the engine up off the mount using a floor jack.  Make sure to use some blocking.  We don't want to be crushing appendages in case the jack slips out or fails.

Brian

Posted: 10-28-2005 02:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Esprit2

Rory,

Were you still running the stock-style of exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket?   If so,  then the Lotus Esprit Turbo gaskets are a vast improvement.   Put in a set of those and you won't blow 'em again.

Instead of steel-asbestos-steel Oreo sandwich,  they are laminated layers of thin stainless steel.   Originally two laminates,  then three.   The three-lam is what you want.

Lotus' price for their OEM parts is insane.   JAE has a similar gasket that looks a little different,  but works the same at a more reasonable price.   Still expensive compared to the Oreo's,  but very cost effective when you consider that you won't have to go through the grief of replacing them again.

Good luck,

Tim Engel

Current time is 02:56 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Header Gasket Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems