Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Alternators  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-04-2007 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Joel

Despite the title of the thread (Stock, replacements, conversions) I don't see any info on replacements.

Mine is undercharging at low RPMS and overcharging at speed.  I have 2 spares - both Delco - the running car is a Lucas.  Go figure. 

So, is there a simple replacement?  I'm planning to find a shop to repair  it tomorrow but if there's a simple, off the shelf, better quality (ummm Bosch?), replacement, I'd rather go for that. 

Happy 4th.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-05-2007 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
jgreen

Joel,

My JH uses a Bosch AL300X which has proven to be very reliable. I am not sure of Lucas wiring on the alternator but I can send a JPEG of my alternator wiring hook up in the rear if you need it,  tomorrow.

John

Posted: 07-05-2007 06:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Joel

Thank you sir!  I'd appeciate the JPEG.

The Delco unit has 2 separate plugs.  The Lucas has 3 spade connectors.  I can't see dinking around to figure out the difference just to use the spare I have.  It's worth 100 bucks for a rebuild just to not have to trace wires. . .

Posted: 07-05-2007 11:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Dan (Florida)

I had troubles with the stock alternator on 19444 and obtaining rebuilds from my supplier in Florida was getting worse so I took their advice and adapted the common Delco single wire alternator that is prevalent in most GM cars.  It requires only a single connection (the heavy brown wire)  to the battery and is commonly  replaceable at any parts store. It is also around 85 amps output so it should provide for any needs.  It mounted easily ( see photos in the Florida car gallery) and doesn't require an exiter curcuit, so no bulb.  I have noticed some unusual voltage drops after highway drives, but  overall has been reliable.  At $75 for a rebuilt unit  I have no complaints.

hth  Dan

Posted: 07-07-2007 02:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Judson Manning

Dan,

From which GM cars is your replacement alternator sourced?

Judson

Posted: 07-07-2007 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Dan (Florida)

I'm not sure, he stated it was a very common alternator to most GM cars of the last decade.  I just made sure it turned the right direction.  It only has one terminal on the back an was a snap to install

Dan

Posted: 07-08-2007 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Ron Earp

I'd bet it is a GM 10si one wire style.  I use the GM 10si one wire type on all the race cars we do. My Jensen does not have a 10si though, but it should. I have some Powermaster deal on there that isn't perfect.

Judson you can make a 10si fit easily, you'll just need to tweek a bracket and using some spacers (washers) to make it go on, but it'll go on. Cheap, plentiful, and durable plus the one wire deal makes them simple.

R

Last edited on 07-08-2007 12:36 am by Ron Earp

Posted: 07-08-2007 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Judson Manning

Thanks Ron,

Not really interested in having to fab a set of brackets like you had to do on the ITS car.  Maybe the 10si is the trick.  From my junk-yard recon it seems the 240SX alternator could also fit with just spacers.

Judson

Posted: 07-08-2007 03:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Ron Earp

!0si case is similar, easy fit. Put one on my Z in place of the Z alternator which is not so easy to get at a store. I wanted something I could buy anywhere, anytime.

The Powermaster I have the ITS car is okay, but it was supposed to be a 10si case style to and turned out not to be. It came with brakets I modified and was easily put on. I probably should have sent it back to Summit but I just made do. It is small, and works well when everything is in place correctly.

10si is the way to go I think.

Current time is 11:22 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Alternators Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems