Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Coolant leaks  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-15-2005 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

On JH 15371 I have a coolant leak at both ends of the radiator hose between the water pump and intake manifold. The hoses are new, purchased from Delta MS. The metal surface on manifold and water pump are very clean, no residue. The manifold hose is one of those coregated flex hoses. It is a Gates hose, which is usually good quality stuff.

The hose clamps are new, and I have tried tightening them several times. Still drips a few drips from each end, even when the car is not running. I have not tried double clamps yet. One note on the Gates hose. It has this small passage way from end to end. It looks like it would interfere with clamping. Not sure what this pasage way is for. Never seen this on any other hose on any car. When you put the clamp on it compresses this opening and then hose looks like any normal hose.

Anyone have similar problems with this hose ? Should I take off and put Permatex or some other sealer inside hose ends ? Or use a different hose ? Jim at Delta says he sells a lot of these hoses, so it should work.

Gary

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-16-2005 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Jim Medland is correct in that most of these hoses work just fine.  However, nobody's quality control is perfect, and defective parts do occasionally get made and sold.

These hoses consist of a fabric-reinforced rubber-like fluid that that is cured to solid form during manufacture.  If the rubber is applied improperly, or if the curing is incorrect, there will be voids connecting the interior of the hose to the fabric.  When this occurs, coolant will seep or leak from the exposed fabric at one or both ends of the hose.  (My car's previous manifold hose, bought from Delta by the car's PO in 1999 or 2000, did just that after a couple of years of use, but in my case I could stop the leaks by tightening the hose clamps.)

It sounds to me like your current manifold hose exhibits a rather extreme example of this sort of failure.  Certainly the extra passage you describe should not be there.  You might make contact again with Mr. Medland, and see if he's willing to replace what is almost certainly a defective part.  He may need to have you ship him the bad hose so he can get a refund on its cost from his distributor.

I'll note here that it seems to take very highly skilled employees to make good hoses, or good tires.  (Disclaimer: no connection with either industry other than end-user of their products.)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:12 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Coolant leaks Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems