New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Distributer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-03-2005 01:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lawrence Tod

Morning Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone had ever come across this problem?
11211 was running poorly last week, backfiring, and idling all over the place.

I originally thought it was the condenser, and changed it as well as the points. I have the "blue " spark plug wires as well as the flame thrower coil from the pertronix set up. I am not currently using the pertronix as I it quit working after about a day , and reading everyones horror stories, I went back to the points. I am using the original ceramic firewall mounted ballast resistor. I have already dealt with the problems with the wiring through the tachometer to the ballast. I have checked with the voltmeter and I have proper amounts of voltage where I am supposed to.

The only thing that my mind can settle on that the problem might be is:
when I was changing the points and condenser iI noticed that the ground wire ( fine like baby hair and braided) , that is fastened with a "crush" or "press" fitting adjacent to where the points fasten, and is screwed to the body of the distributer at the other end.

While examing this I found that the end fasted adjacent to the points could rotate easily. if it can rotate could it lose contact ? If it could lose ground momentarily there would be no circuit. Has anybody encountered this before? Or does anyone have any other suspicions?

11211 is currently my daily drive so backfiring at the cross walk is a real embarresment. ;^(

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-03-2005 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Sohl

Lawrence, Congratulations! I have sn 11210! The door plate claims a build date of January, '73. I just had to write to say, 'you're not alone with an early model.' 11210 was originally 'mustard', then painted red at least twice, now it is stripped and primer grey. As to your problems, the ground 'strap', as it is sometimes called, must be secure. If it will move or rotate as you say, this is not good. Additionally, if you have not already done so, all sources of vacuum leaks should be thought of as suspect until proven otherwise. This means inspection of all hoses, clamps, gaskets, throttle shaft seals, o-rings, and any other joint or seal exposed to manifold vacuum. Please write to let us know how things are going.
Jim Sohl

Posted: 10-03-2005 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lawrence Tod

Thanks for your reply Jim,

I beleive my car was originally Mustard as well. This seems to be the colour I encounter most often when I strip things apart.
I think based on what you said I will repull the distributer. I suspected that ground strap would be a problem but thought it possibly needed a little movement for the advance on the internals of the distributer.

I will let you know how or if I make any progress.

Thanks
Lawrence

Posted: 10-05-2005 11:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joel

There's a brand used dist lised on ebay. I wish it had been there last week - I'd of bought it instead of spending 145 bucks at British Masters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jensen-Healey-Lucas-25D-Distributer-lotus_W0QQitemZ4579258176QQcategoryZ34202QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No affiliation blah blah blah

Posted: 10-07-2005 12:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Lawrence Tod

Joel

Thanks for the tip I am going to see If I an figure a way to see if I can aquire that little gem. Otherwise I will get one from British Masters.

Regards
Lawrence

Current time is 03:13 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Distributer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems