Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine Damper Location  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-19-2005 01:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Finch

1111-18309 is in the process of being restored. I recently found the engine damper and bracket in the extra spare parts box from the PO. Can anyone tell me where it goes?I have referenced the transmission parts drawing which shows it but don't have a clue where it goes. I can't find existing mounting holes on the frame. Were these stock or dealer installed or after market.. Are they necessary? I'd think it would help stabilize the engine and transmission so would like to (re)install it. A picture would be great. Thanks John

Last edited on 09-19-2005 01:13 am by John Finch

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-19-2005 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The damper attaches to the rear of the engine and to the firewall, as indicated in the attached photo.  The far side of the firewall is reinforced with a small plate, and cracks may form in the firewall, just outside the edges of this plate.

Are they necessary? I don't believe they were used on the GTs, which leads me to believe they were not truly necessary.  Do they help?  Yes, they seem to help stabilize the engine, but IMHO good engine and transmission mounts are much more important.

Attachment: Damper location.jpg (Downloaded 52 times)

Last edited on 09-19-2005 01:47 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 09-19-2005 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
John Finch

Thanks for your help! John

Posted: 09-19-2005 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Mark is correct in that the GTs do NOT have the dampener.  With the addition of the AC fan and plumbing, everything gets moved over and there just isn't enough room.

However, the engine mount hardware and the x-member are different on the GT (much beefier).  IMHO, elimination of the dampener on the JH will hasten engine mount failure.

Posted: 11-20-2005 05:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pbahr

John,

I went through the Damper issue last year and found a solution.  I firmly believe that you need a Damper, else why would the Jensen company have spent the extra $ to put one on the JJ.  Think about it, no car manufacturer puts money into a car unless it is necessary!  There are not many cars with Dampers, but there are others besides the JH, even as late as the '90's.  GT doesn't have the space for one and the configuration is different as Judson points out.

The JH does have Engine/Drivetrain resonance at about 3100 rpm as I recall.

For my solution, check:http://jhppg.com/pk0104.htm

Pete

Current time is 05:07 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine Damper Location Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems