Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > strombergs vs dellortos and the tranny

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Joel

my car has a 4spd overdrive tranny. i can't remember the name of the mfg but it's the common euro fit. when i bought the car i got an extra manifold w/ dellortos. the po(s) said he was told that the tranny wouldn't handle the extra power added w/ the dellortos. what do ya think? 10-20hp wouldn't tear the tranny apart would it?

i do have an extra 5spd tranny and rear end. so i could swap them out. but, i've got other things to do.

so do i rebuild the strombergs and put them back on? or rebuild the dellortos and put them on instead?

dilemmas. . .

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

If the Dell's are jetted correctly I would go with them, after all the Euro JH's were fitted with them for 4 speeds, if you need new jetting that will cost you, figure about $200, the Strom's are a very good carb but just dont have the power range Dell's offer, but they are easier and cheaper to get tuned up correctly.

Long term if I had your options it would be Dell's and the 5 speed setup.

Brett.

frank12873

I'm certainly no expert, but I gather from various threads here that the 4 speed is a pretty robust transmission, as strong as, or stronger than, the 5 speed. Perhaps the real concern is that the overdrive unit can't take the extra power?

If you end up installing the 5 speed, I for one would be interested in the 4 speed overdrive unit.

Happy motoring whatever you decide!

Judson Manning

I wouldn't be too concerned about the O/D unit, if too much power is applied, the rear tires will let go first.  That is unless you put on fat racing tires and thrash the heck out of the car...

According to the Vauxhall competition parts catalog/brochure, the Viva rear end isn't designed to handle more than 140hp.  What they're really saying is that with the stock axle not stiffened, and no LSD, it's REALLY hard to get more than 140hp to the ground before the tires/suspension lose traction.

Think of the tires as a fail-safe device.  This is the main reason why I don't suggest the installation of fat tires on 15x7 wheels. 

Joe Huffaker snapped a set of stock JH axles during testing of Bruce Qvalle's E-prod car (which used 15x7 wheels, btw).  This is precisely why the SCCA allows the JH (and NO other car) an alternate rear-end assembly.  It's also why the SCCA allows alternate brakes for the JH, because the stock brakes are NO match for 15x7s!

There comes a time when bigger isn't necessarily better....

normv

Judson

You indicated the standard Jensen axles may be weak, As you know I am building one to race in Australia it will only run 13x6 wheels with 205 60 road (Grooved slicks) as race 2L and braced housing with LSD (yes that is correct) do you believe I may have a problem with standard axles. Also I am hoping if they do break it is at the step down not at the flange? For anyone who is curious about the LSD it is a clutch type which I had custom made as I have to use the standard housing. It has taken 9 months but I will be picking it up and paying(the bad part ) next week , I believe they have the cnc specs now if I need more but not sure as 3 different machinists had ago from various parts of Australia, you wouldn’t think it would be that hard. I know the first one he has the cnc data for it is just a shame it was to thin in critical places.

Norm

Judson Manning

Norm,

As I remember the conversation with Joe Huffaker, that axle was locked and they were running Goodyear slicks on 15"x7" wheels.  Lots of grip, extreme power, and ridiculously stiff.

With the LSD you and smaller tires, you have a built-in safty device to keep the axles from snapping.  The only 'problem' you may run into is your engine eventually overpowering those 205s.

I think you'll be fine....

Judson

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems