Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Mark Rosenbaum

Having some time on my hands, I decided to see exactly how full a late-engine JH oil sump gets for various fluid quantities.  Not having any food coloring immediately to hand, I used a tea bag to tint tap water which was then poured into the sump in measured increments.  In the photos, the fluid levels turned out to be a bit hard to see, so I added red lines to make things more apparent.

I can't seem to get the photos to show up here directly, so if you're interested, check out the photos at  http://jhppg.com/gallery/Oil-sump-fill-levels  .

Last edited on 09-14-2005 10:58 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Tony Hollart

Mark,

The baffle that is in the sump is this standard? My car has a similar looking baffle but it looked so crude I thought it was a modification by the previous owner.

Mark Rosenbaum

Tony,
Yes, the baffles were installed by Lotus when the engines were built.  It's my understanding -- which may not be correct -- that they were added in response to complaints by owners who raced their cars and experienced low or no oil pressure on long banked turns.  I did a survey some years ago and the baffles were present in three quarters of the cars whose owners responded.  If I recall correctly (a dubious proposition at my age) they were first used some time after the change in engine design circa engine no. 2760.

UPDATE:  In the text above, 2760 is the correct engine s/n, not 2860 as was originally typed.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited on 09-16-2005 02:06 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems