Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
edward_davis

Has anyone out there used a fusable link or large-amperage fuse to protect their ignition and/ or alternator/ battery circuits?  After all of the work I've done getting my headlights, etc. to work, it has occurred to me that there are still several places I could have disastrous shorts in my wiring harness that could result in damage or destruction of my JH. 

Also, I've heard that fusable links aren't a good way to protect the car because they still burn in a dramatic fashion that could ignite vapors under the hood.  Any ideas out there?

Mark Rosenbaum

Ford used to use a really short fusible link for general system protection, but I'm under the impression they quit doing that in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  Might have been a cost cutting measure, or maybe they had one fail in an exciting manner and got sued as a result, or perhaps my memory is faulty... don't know.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to protect the alternator with a fuse or equivalent -- the odds are very high that the alternator diodes will burn out long before the wiring melts.  Also, I don't see any need for a fuse in the ignition circuit if you still have the ballast in place.  For the headlights, however, relays and suitable fuses might be a good idea if for no other reason than to protect the various switches, and an inline fuse for the lights at the rear of the car might be desirable too.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems