Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil Pressure?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-27-2024 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mgmark

I looked at a JH this morning and the oil pressure gauge reads from almost nothing to maybe 20# cold and hot. It seems to run well with no bad engine noises. It was rebuilt less than a couple thousand miles ago.

Could it be the gauge? Should this stop me from buying the car?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited on 04-27-2024 09:45 pm by Mgmark

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-28-2024 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Mgmark,

Yeah that sounds low and while as you say it runs well it's really a matter of if it's getting proper lubrication. It could be the gauge, when reconnected after rebuild if fittings aren't tight readings could be low. I've had that happen before to the point where I installed a temporary gauge which read good, so yes it could be the gauge.

Since it sounds like you're considering this car for purchase so you really need to get some history from the seller. Was it reading like this before the rebuild? Since the rebuild was recent there should be paperwork you can examine to determine the quality of the rebuild. Another big tell for me is how forthcoming the seller is. Is he vague or evasive or willing to answer this question to the best of his ability. And of course there's the asking price, you don't pay a premium price for a car with questions.

Posted: 04-28-2024 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mgmark

Thank you for the reply. The seller wasn’t the person who rebuilt the car, but he knows the fellow who did the work and got the car from. He doesn’t have first hand knowledge about any details of the rebuild.

If I were selling a car with a rebuilt engine and it read low I would replace that gauge immediately. If nothing else to verify the pressure was good, and secondly to not put off a would-be buyer.
Otherwise I like the car, but I don’t have time for potentially another project or engine rebuild.

Mark

Posted: 04-28-2024 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Mark,

At this point it's unknown whether the gauge is the problem. If you don't have time for another project buying an LBC is probably not the best plan. If you pass on this one be patient there are a lot of really nice J/Hs out there that are selling for peanuts.

Posted: 04-28-2024 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mgmark

Yes, I have enough LBC projects already. I want to find the best car I can and just drive it. I don’t mind regular maintenance as needed.

Posted: 04-29-2024 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Mark,

Buying a car someone else restored is a great idea especially when your time is limited. You shouldn't have any problem finding a J/H in excellent condition for 15K or less.

Current time is 01:39 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil Pressure? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems