Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Engine Earth Strap Location

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine Earth Strap Location  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-12-2023 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JH12947

Hi All - I would like to know where the engine earth strap is normally located. When I got the car it was running between the rear inlet manifold stud and the oil separator bracket. I'd like to put it in it's proper spot when I reinstall. Thanks.

Corey

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-12-2023 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

Let's see if I can explain this clearly without a picture.

Looking at the engine from the passenger side, below where the distributor mounts there is a bolt located above where the front crossmember is. When you look at the bolt the "edges" go off in a roughly 45 degree angle. The bolt is at the bottom. From there, the steel braided grounding strap goes to the body across from the alternator. The connection is bolted to where the oil hoses are connected. You might have to move the hoses to see where the bolt is supposed to go.

Found a picture.

Art

Attachment: ground strap.jpg (Downloaded 35 times)

Last edited on 12-13-2023 12:05 am by Art DeKneef

Posted: 12-13-2023 04:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JH12947

Perfect thanks!

Posted: 12-13-2023 04:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

Corey: the original engine-to-ground strap went from the the front bottom oil pan bolt(passenger side) to a lower body bolt where the original air filter can was. Teh original battery had the ground/earth going to the 1/4" bolt on the fender wall. However, most of us felt this was too small a space, plus it would get dirty quickly, so we ran a heavier ground cable(that also has a #10 gage extra wire on it) to the upper starter mounting bolt with the #10 wire going to the original 1/4" bolt to run whatever.
Ideally, one would have the fuses mounted as close as possible to the battery in case of a crash as the right hand drive cars have, but Jensen never moved the fuse box over to the right for we who drive on the left side. This leave quite a bit of unfused wire that could be shorted in a heavy crash!

Posted: 12-13-2023 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JH12947

Thanks for the additional info. As luck would have it when I rewired the car I moved the aftermarket fuse case to the right footwell so it is about 6 inches away from the battery. I've mounted the engine strap as suggested in the previous post and the starter cranks well. I may ground the starter separately but all seems good now.

Current time is 04:39 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Engine Earth Strap Location Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems