Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Steering wheel moves in and out (towards front and rear of car) by 1/4 inch

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Steering wheel moves in and out (towards front and rear of car) by 1/4 inch  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-02-2023 06:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RobInSanFrancisco

I can see the strange upper universal joint "flex" or move as someone else moves my steering wheel in and out.  There is no movement of the lower universal joint or the shaft to the upper universal joint. 

I am aware those universal joints wear and cause looseness, but can this be the cause?  Or, is there suppose to be a bushing or spring or spacer in the steering column to keep the steering wheel the correct distance from the dash?
I have a no-so-great diagram of the steering column parts, with various things that are hard to identify.  Has anyone disassembled an upper steering column?  What is in there?  Are there any photos available?
Thanks!
PS, this steering wheel is tight on the shaft, it is the shaft moving, not the steering wheel floating on the shaft.
PPS, does anyone have a superior condition steering wheel for sale?  Mine is a bit old looking.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-03-2023 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Rob: this could be VERY dangerous as the shaft is collapsible, with an inner and outer casing. There are/were 2 nylon "breakaway" pins inside holding one shaft onto the other, and if broken(happens ALL the time when people are banging on it to exchange the exhaust headers) so that the smaller outer shaft that extends into through the firewall can have so much slop that the upper steering knuckle collapses and hits the exhaust header, giving you maybe 15 degrees of movement(ask me how I know!).
Removing the shaft is fairly simple, so please call/SKYPE me(under my profile) for help.
bruce/redracer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 01:55 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Steering wheel moves in and out (towards front and rear of car) by 1/4 inch Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems