Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Timing belt shroud / cover - do I need one

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Timing belt shroud / cover - do I need one  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-01-2023 04:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RobInSanFrancisco

This car has a recent belt.  The lower mounting stud for the cover (which also holds a cable) broke.  I bought the car with no upper cover.  There does not appear to be much holding this lower belt cover on besides the two studs, one of which is broken.  And for an upper cover only the lower cover appears to hold an upper cover in place. 

The basic question is: do I need these covers?  If I do not need the lower cover, how do you remove it?  Will is somehow slide around the water pump pulley etc.
Thank you.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-01-2023 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

You CAN slide the lower one off, but most people use only the upper one as it is easier to remove and where an rag is more likely to get caught

Posted: 11-01-2023 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RobInSanFrancisco

Yes - agreed.  And it occurs to me that a pebble could get get kicked up and stuck in pulley.
It amazes me that the belt doesn't work of the pulleys on it's own.  It occurs to me that the pulley and belt upgrade kit would be great.  I wonder if a pair of disks mounted to the radiator side of the two cam pulleys would be a good addition.  They would be about 1 or 1.5  inches larger in diameter than the pullies.
Any more thoughts on whether I ought to repair/replace the broken stud and somewhat trashed lower belt cover are appreciated.

Posted: 11-01-2023 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

The upper stud for the top cover(with metal bushing) is 8mmX1.25 pitch while the bottom stud for the lower cover(with bushing) is 6mmX1.0 pitch.
I have all these items(used) if you want them.

Current time is 01:24 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Timing belt shroud / cover - do I need one Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems