Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pilot Bearing Question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-12-2023 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JH12947

I've had my flywheel resurfaced and the clutch disc resurfaced. I ordered a new pilot/spigot bearing but can see that the crank either has been sleeved or simply has the trashed remains of an old bearing stuck in the bore. The new bearing has an OD of 21 mm and the crank hole is ~19mm. Before I set about trying to remove what appears to be the bearing shell I want to confirm that normally the crank hole is smooth front to back without a step towards the rear (which I have). I have an internal bearing puller so can heat it and see if I can pull it out. Unfortunately, I don't have the history on the car to know if this was a known issue when it was parked. Photo attached.

Thanks

Attachment: Post.jpg (Downloaded 32 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-13-2023 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JH12947

I did manage to get the shell out. After some heat and attempts with my bearing puller that didn't work I ended up timidly thinning the shell with a die grinder until it started to move. Puller worked after that.

Posted: 09-13-2023 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Some of the earlier J-Hs had a bronze bushing, which was later replaced with a better roller bearing one:
INA-Germany--HK-1514 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D340SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or Torrington-Germany--Hk-1514

Current time is 05:45 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Pilot Bearing Question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems