Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ed Davenport

I am in the process of stripping 15507 for restoration.  I am attempting to remove the dash, but I seemed to have missed something, I have removed the lower part of the instrument panel (where the light switches are located) and I am trying to remove the instrument pod and upper dash.  I have removed the two visable screws on the instrument pod and have removed all of the visable screws on the upper dash but its stuck.  Are there hidden fasteners I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Ed

Judson Manning

Ed,

There is a long 1/4"diameter shaft on the back of the instrument cluster between the tach and speedo.  It goes into a 'hole' (i.e. not threaded) in a more substantial piece of steel in the dash support. 

Generally this shaft is rusted into it's receptacle and won't slide out w/o persuation.  Get under the dash w/ some WD40 and some elbow grease and you should be able to get it to move.  Then you can pull the cluster out in one piece.

Judson

SportsRodder

After you remove the instrument cluster you will find three 3/8" nuts must be removed underneath where the dash meets the sheetmetal.  One can be seen with the cluster out , one is over the heater and the other is behind the glove box. It will also be necessary to remove the steering wheel.

Jim Sohl

If you have not already done so, the entire steering wheel - steering column assembly removes easily. After the dash is out, the steering assembly can be re-attached if steering is needed to move things around.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems