Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Pumps, Straight and Regulated

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fuel Pumps, Straight and Regulated  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-13-2023 06:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Hi everyone

I've got an SU fuel pump that seems like it's limping. I'd like to convert to a solid state fuel pump, but understand the Stromberg carburetors and their 2.5 psi/15 GPH requirement/limitation.

I've seen solid state fuel pumps that are reported to pump at the 2.5psi/15 GPH rate. Can I trust these numbers to keep the flow of fuel going within limitations or should I upgrade to a slightly increased pump (4 PSI) and use a regulator?

I'm not demanding a great deal of the engine - I'd rather drive it than rebuild it. I have dual Strombergs.

If you have converted to a solid state fuel pump with no regulator, what do you use?

I'm trying to keep it simple.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited on 06-13-2023 08:01 pm by WhatsUpDOHC

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-13-2023 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Paul Koehler

A Facet cube F/P was installed ( on the side of the hgwy.,because the
SU STB ) about 18 yrs ago, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Initially, a pressure regulator was NOT used, but after attending several
shows and seeing them in the engine bay, it added not only functionality, but also THE BLING EFFECT. In essence it will work
without the regulator( per your keeping it simple) but everyone like to
add some uniqueness to their ride.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FACET

Posted: 06-14-2023 03:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Paul Koehler wrote:
A Facet cube F/P was installed ( on the side of the hgwy.,because the
SU STB ) about 18 yrs ago, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Initially, a pressure regulator was NOT used, but after attending several
shows and seeing them in the engine bay, it added not only functionality, but also THE BLING EFFECT. In essence it will work
without the regulator( per your keeping it simple) but everyone like to
add some uniqueness to their ride.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=FACET

Thanks for the response, Paul!

Completely understand the progression toward bling.

I'm just trying to get the car back on the road now.

Drive now, bling later.

I have my cart full on the Pegasus website. Do you remember the specs of the fuel pump that you installed? Is there a Part number on your pump? I just want to be sure that I have the correct spec pump that won't cause the bowl to overflow.

Thanks again,

Mark

Posted: 06-14-2023 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Mark,

Get the Cube it's bulletproof I installed one about 30 years ago and I haven't thought much about it since. Back then you could get them at your local A/P store for around 12 bucks!

Posted: 06-15-2023 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JH12947

I originally ran a Facet cube in one of my other cars with DCOEs, but I couldn't stand the constant clicking noise. Switched to a Carter P60504 years ago as it's quiet and has the correct specs. Has worked flawlessly. That part is obsolete now but has been replaced by P90091. Just another option to consider.

Posted: 06-16-2023 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

JH12947,

I've heard this complaint before which I find puzzling. Can you hear the clicking over the sound of the motor or is it just those few seconds from the time you key the ignition until the motor fires?

I've got two different cars with to different electric "clicker" pumps and once the motor starts I can't hear either one.

Posted: 06-16-2023 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JH12947

On the car I originally had the Facet pump on, it was *just* noticeable when cruising, but since I was aware of a reasonably priced, readily available alternative I didn't see why I should put up with it all.  Since I had it on the shelf, when I built my Mini I just used it.  On a 35 hp car it is a bit more of an irritant but I'm living with it.
I wouldn't buy one for a new build.  I've bought a Carter for the JH I'm building and have had it running on the stand with no issues.

Posted: 06-17-2023 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul Koehler

The cube on my ride is the 1.5 to 4g/m unit.
Try out the search function......there is usually someone who has been
there & done that.
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2464&forum_id=14

Posted: 06-18-2023 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Paul Koehler wrote:
The cube on my ride is the 1.5 to 4g/m unit.
Try out the search function......there is usually someone who has been
there & done that.
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2464&forum_id=14

Thanks Paul

Believe me, I've been all over this forum looking for whether a 2.5-4psi pump would be 2.5 or 4 at the carbs.

Posted: 06-18-2023 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I ended up going with the Facet 40104 and put a fuel pressure gauge at the carbs. I'm seeing a constant 2.5psi there so I'm good.

The crazy thing was that, when I took out the SU to replace it with the Facet, I noticed that the group of ground wires that are screwed to the frame near the pump was loose..... As I was about to install the Facet, I wasn't going to try the SU again.

But, who knows, the ground could have been the issue all along.

Posted: 06-21-2023 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Paul Koehler

You should retest the SU, with the proper grounding, so that a spare is
on hand, in the UNLIKELY event the cube decide to act up. It sucks to
be in the middle of Easy Jesus when the fit hits the shan at 10PM, on
a back road.

The Lucas alternator is also worth checking into as being functionally
capable and reliable, especially in a higher mileage vehicle.

Glad to see you have eliminated one point of failure.

Posted: 06-29-2023 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

WhatsUpDOHC,

The Facet is a demand pump so it will give the carbs what ever they require up to 4psi which is why a regulator isn't really required. You may notice after your car has sat for a while when you key the ignition the pump will click rapidly at first before it settles to a normal rate. That's the pump filling the fuel bowls.

As I recall back in the '90s you could get this Facet at any A/P store along with a higher performance or volume model which was probably required for something like a V8. When I got my J/H in '93 I installed a facet and haven't given it a thought since.

Posted: 07-01-2023 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Thanks!

When I was doing my fuel pump research, I was very concerned about fire and bowl overflow because of an over-spec'd pump (found the info here on the JHPS). I called Pegasus. Their rep was fantastic concerning all of my questions and the fuel pressure at the carbs - Can't say enough good/great about Pegasus Tech Support.👍👍

As a result of my experience with Pegasus Tech Support, I bought the Facet 40104 from them. I didn't use the fuel filter provided at the inlet to the pump. I used a NAPA Gold fuel filter that I already had with the SU (1 month since install): I like to see the fuel color and what's happening coming through the filter. I padded the driver's side (LHD) internal trunk wheel rib with a split vacuum hose so that the plastic fuel filter would not hit it.

With the Facet 40104 installed and a fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet l (non plastic "T") the gauge is showing a constant 2.5 PSI.

And..

When first cranking (with the front end on ramps for a couple of days), looking at the gauge and low carb bowls, I do see the pressure pumping up to ~2.5 PSI before starting and hear the faster and continuous pumping. I have to say that l, after my recent issues, hearing the fuel pump ticking is comforting....

When running, the gauge at the carbs shows <=2.5-ish constant.

Now that I can sleep at night and not worry about the carbs overflowing and the engine catching fire, I'm going to swap the gauge at the carbs for the clear filter that I had there.

I just figured I'd post this in case it helps somebody. I didn't see anything specific on this forum with respect to the actual PSI at the carbs.

Happy 4th of July weekend!!

Mark

noomg wrote:
WhatsUpDOHC,

The Facet is a demand pump so it will give the carbs what ever they require up to 4psi which is why a regulator isn't really required. You may notice after your car has sat for a while when you key the ignition the pump will click rapidly at first before it settles to a normal rate. That's the pump filling the fuel bowls.

As I recall back in the '90s you could get this Facet at any A/P store along with a higher performance or volume model which was probably required for something like a V8. When I got my J/H in '93 I installed a facet and haven't given it a thought since.

Current time is 06:53 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Pumps, Straight and Regulated Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems