Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
ignition key removal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-08-2023 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
browndog9

Little help in getting my ignition key out off the lock. It seems that the button to release the key is not operating properly. If I remove the steering wheel and rubber shroud to expose the inner working it seems to opperate correctly. Put it all back together and voila no removing your key.
Any suggestions.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-09-2023 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

The steering wheel and cowl have nothing to do with the key lock function. I'd look to see if either one is interfering with the operation. For example do both have to be off for the release to work? Does the release still not work if only one item (wheel or cowl) is removed?

If nothing else removing the wheel and the cowl should give you good access for diagnosing the problem.

Posted: 06-09-2023 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
browndog9

Followed your advice. once wheel and shround were removed everything works. Put all back on, still working !
Will drive around with 3/4 socket at hand and see.

Posted: 06-10-2023 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Glad to hear it's functioning properly now. It makes me think that an edge of the cowl was getting under the release button not allowing it to be completely depressed.

My feeling is now that it's working it will continue to work. If not the release button is rectangle with a screw in it and at least on mine it can be turned left or right which might allow needed clearance.

Posted: 07-25-2023 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
browndog9

I just wanted to indicate that I solved the problem in case anyone ran into the same issue. With a mirror I saw that the white wire with a black stripe wb was located in such a way that it would get under the botton to release the key at arbitrary times. I re routed it and some of my problems are gone. My wife has assured me that some of them still exist. Oh well.

Current time is 09:18 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > ignition key removal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems