New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Alternate radiator for Mark I  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-17-2023 02:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Darth V8R

Wow.

I dropped off my radiator at a local radiator repair shop, and they quoted me $1,100 dollars to repair it. Egads.

I know there are aluminum radiators out there that will work, but I am trying to keep the car original or very close to original.

Martin Robey offers a refurbished unit for a bit over £300, less if your radiator can be used as an rebuildable core.

Is the JH radiator used in another car? They used standard motor parts almost exclusively, so perhaps there is a Triumph unit that is identical?

Looking for options that would be original, or nearly so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Vance

Last edited on 03-17-2023 02:04 am by Darth V8R

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-17-2023 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Vance,

Maybe you should tell your radiator guy it doesn't need to be gold plated.

But seriously if you're going to have your radiator reconditioned make sure it's a 3-row and not the earlier 2-row radiator. The 2-rows had a tendency to run hot.

Since Delta no longer sells radiators and Robey is selling reconditioned units it sounds like new ones are NLA. If that's the case and another make used the same radiator it follows that the radiator would also be NLA for them too. And if another car did use the same radiator it would likely have different mounting brackets and even outlets.

First thing I'd do is get another estimate. A few years ago I had the radiator in my '67 El Camino completely redone and paid around $150 it's hard to imagine the cost has increased almost ten times in a few years.

If you do get another estimate and it comes in high like the first I'd want to know why it's gotten so expensive in such a relatively short time. Otherwise it looks like Robey is your best option.

Posted: 03-17-2023 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Darth V8R

Wanted to close the loop on this query...
Found what appears to be a pretty good deal, albeit non-original.

Champion makes a replacement, $240 + shipping for an all aluminum design. Three row core.

They claim it will handle up to 400 HP. Yeah, right. If I do a Chevy LS3 conversion, maybe. Or supercharge the car.. Otherwise 400HP is the stuff of teen-age fantasies.

OK, will put this on hold for now. Motor is coming out today.

Vance

Posted: 03-18-2023 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

It's just nice to know an aftermarket supplier actually makes a part for Jensen-Healey. Where the J/H is concerned I wouldn't worry too much about originality. A lot of Austin-Healey guys are dropping aluminum radiators into their cars even though originals are readily available. And those are cars where the use of non-original parts can affect the value of the car, a problem the Jensen-Healey doesn't suffer from.

Posted: 03-20-2023 12:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
browndog9

Oh for teenage fantasies. I would definitely had painted my mustang candy apple red.

Posted: 03-11-2024 11:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
fenflame

I use one of those Champion Rads on my JH MK1, bought off Amazon of all places. I thought it was too good to be true, so punted and went for it. Perfect fit, no issues at all, really decent quality with great welds and it works a treat even on 100degF summer days. Temp gauge never even gets to half way standing in traffic.

Sometimes things that seem too good to be true, just turn out well.

Alan.

Last edited on 03-11-2024 11:13 pm by fenflame

Current time is 03:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Alternate radiator for Mark I Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems