New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Removing the fuel tank  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2023 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Darth V8R

Lads:
Have been attempting to pull the fuel tank so I can prep for painting. No Joy.

The tank is hanging on the top as I attempt to pull the tank. It doesn't help that the drain bung is hanging on the hole in the floor of the trunk.

The most of the padding and carpet were removed, but the chunk under the tank seems to be pretty well stuck there. Reading other posts about the tank, it seems that maybe the padding under the tank must come out? Then it seems I either rotate the tank and pull it out, or tip the tank and pull it out. Correct?

If removing the padding is the key, I have a real job on my hands as the carpet has disintegrated pretty badly. <sigh> Any tricks to making that a bit easier?

Vance

Last edited on 03-06-2023 11:20 pm by Darth V8R

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-18-2023 02:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Darth V8R

Lads:
Just wanted to close the loop on this thread.

It turns out removing the tank is easy peasy. Drain the tank (I let the fuel pump push the 20 year old fuel into a gas can).

Pull out the drain plug, and disconnect the emissions stuff and the fuel filler neck. Leave the drain plug out of the tank, otherwise it will never come out.

The trick is tip the tank out from the bottom, not the top. The presence of the padding didn't matter at that point. It slipped right out.

Easy, when you know the trick. Bottom the tank is rusty, but a wire brush and some rattle can paint, and it will be as good as new.

Vance

P.S. Poured the 20 year old fuel into the nearly full tank of my daily driver Infiniti. Figured that the good fuel in the Infiniti would mix with the old fuel, and it would be burned. Worked great, the Infiniti didn't even notice the ancient fuel mixed with fresh fuel.

Last edited on 03-18-2023 03:12 am by Darth V8R

Posted: 03-21-2023 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Vance:
Instead of paint, I would use POR15, MASTERCOAT, KBS, or some similar product to permanently keep the rust from attacking from the outside.
best wishes , bruce

Current time is 08:58 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Removing the fuel tank Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems